popping noise when taking off

2005BlueBusa

Registered
i have 1500 miles on my '05 busa and at about 1000 miles i noticed lots of popping/clicking sounds coming from the clutch area upon taking off from standing still. i drive very cautious and never race. typically i just commute to work when i ride it.

anyway it's still under warranty so i took it in. my dealer tells me that there are other busa's with this problem. so they adjusted the chain, then called me back saying "there's definitely a problem...it's still clicking". they then called suzuki which said "this is normal". now, i've been riding motorcycles for 20+ years and i don't categorize this as normal... my dealer said "well, this is a hayabusa, it's different." am i supposed to believe that this bike is so different than any bike built that it can get away with a noise like that? for that matter is it that much different than a ZX10, or a GSX1000? i have not heard of this problem on those bikes...

bottom line, how can i fix this? i've heard that the stock chain is garbage, i've heard stories of guys cleaning the chain, etc...

to me, an 11,000 motorcycle shouldn't be making noises like that under normal operation.

rock.gif
What is the idle set to... How much of a goose do you give it on take off... and does it do it when at a stable speed?

rock.gif

rock.gif

I had a chain once that started clicking, it was a new chain and it the links neded to be worked out.

Do you wear a helmet or do you ride without a helmet?

I had a chain once that started clicking, it was a new chain and it the links neded to be worked out.

Do you wear a helmet or do you ride without a helmet?
i was very strict with the breakin. making sure i varied my speeds. i would think that with 1500 miles (and 2 chain adjustments) it wouldn't be the chain.

yes i wear a helmet.

sounds like the chain to me. take a close look at the sprokets and get the back tire off the ground and spin it. Check to see if you have any binding links.

The clanking is the clutch cam setup unlocking either install a aftermarket setup or deal with it.Contact me for the parts if need be.

My '05 does the same thing (1100 miles) and has done it ever since the first time I opened the throttle hard to try a snap-throttle wheelie (6500rpm-WFO) at about 900 miles. When I first heard it it scared the crap outta me! I thought the bike was gonna spew clutch parts right out of the side of the case. I am bigger than most of you on here (6'5"-330lbs) and if I am hard on my bike it's like you guys beating on your bikes with a passenger on board. My friend's '05 GSX-R1000 doesn't make the same noise. Don't both bikes use a similar style back torque-limiting slipper clutch assembly? Will my clutch basket/cam assembly #### itself all over eventually? If I install Brock's clutch conversion will it make the scary noises go away? Anything else that needs to be done at the same time? BTW, the bike is spectacular for high speed wheelies!

i just came in here gonna post up the same typr of question, mine pops only wheni take off in first, but not always. not sure if its internal pop or chain but its buggin the crap out of me?
rock.gif

think a good chain could cure it up??

and whats the best chains??

Hmmm.....interesting thread. My 05 has 2400 miles on her and has never made the noise that you guys are describing here; taking off from a stop agressively or easy, no unusual chain noise. I clean and lube my stock chain every 300 miles and make sure to keep the up/down chain slack measurement at 1 inch. Is you chain too tight, or maybe too loose?

nah when it made the pop the first time i went ut through her on the stand and readjusted the chain. i think iwill clean it good and use some chainwax instead of this pj crap. we will see what happens

Have had the same on my 05' I have 4 k on it . I just ignore it as ive heard that busa trannies are "clunky" Keep this in mind ............im getting off 15 years of riding Harleys:p

I have just noticed the same problem and the dealer said it could be the rubber cush drives in the wheel. Have no idea if he is right but said alot of busa's have the problem. Anybody heard this one??

Back