Clunk noise when taking off

Turbo-Torch

Donating Member
Registered
Every so often when I take off I notice a clunk noise up front. It only happens when pulling away from a stop in 1st gear and the clutch lever is at the point of being fully released...maybe at 5 mph rolling speed.

The chain adjustment is fine and there are no tight spots.

This isn't some earth shattering noise or anything, just a minor rap sound that's difficult to hear with a helmet on.

Anyone else have this happen? I can't get it to do it in the garage.

My baby does the clunk thing too sometimes , might not be the same as your clunk but turns out the steering damper is the culprit ..They seem to make a bit of noise but apparently its normal ..

My does the same few month ago,the same f$$$$$ clunck, i replace the cush drive,adjust chain as specs. And solve problem 2 weeks ago. New chain & sproket's.Now running like new. Good luck.

..how many miles r on the chain .? you say you "adjusted it " but, if the chain is in bad condition ( wore'n out .. or a slight bit of "rust" ) <-- this i've seen several times @ the shop .. check it out ..
wink.gif

After searching the different forums it appears quite a few have/had this problem. Many seem to think it's the chain and others think it's a normal noise from the torque back limiter. Other say some kind of dampner on the front sprocket? I've yet to check the cush drive, may do that this weekend.

I've gone over the chain with a fine tooth comb.
I've got 5200 miles on the bike and clean and lube the chain every 300 miles since new. ½" deflection up and down for a total of 1". Rear wheel adjusted so that the sprocket teeth are exactly centered in chain links.
The other day I took a tooth brush and individually spent time cleaning and examining each and every link and roller...nothing loose, stretched or binding.

To be honest I don't know if the bike has always done this and I just noticed it recently?
rock.gif
Now that I've taken notice it's bugging the hell out of me.
smile.gif

It only does it once in a while during a normal slow take off in first gear as I'm releasing the clutch lever...usually ~2000 rpm. Only makes one TAP sound, best way I can describe it is that it sounds like the kickstand hitting the stop when flipped up. There's no actual feel to it, the bike is accelerating slowly and smooth as can be when it happens.
Also seems more prone to do it once the bike has been ridden more than 25 miles.

I'm still open to suggestions as I hate to dump money into a new chain and sprockets since mine has so few miles.

well.. TT .. all things I see point to either a sprocket or cush /Drv .. or chain ...so if yah ..( inspect the sprockets F/R n.. inspect the "cush" .. the only way to inspect the chain to me..is to remove it n lay it down on a table or lift.. then reverse the way it would normaly rotate ..this way if it is going to "bind" you will "notice it" ... good luck !

I have this same problem. I try to take off from a stop real easy to keep it from happening and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I have always suspected the cush drive since I am an impatient shifter and usually hits pretty good when I shift, even just driving normal. I sure would be interested in finding out how you solve this. I have no idea why it would be the chain or sprocket, doesn't make sense to me. I do want to go up to a 42 in the rear, I guess I need to buy a new chain and the 42 sprocket and see if it helps....just doesn't seem possible.

i used to get a clunk thing aswell,i thought maybe it was the front brake pads moving about.i solve it by storing her in the garage..lol i will get my baby back out somtime
sad.gif

The stock chain is junk and it wouldn't shock me if you ride hard that your chain and sprockets needs to be replaced. Another thing it could be is the sterring stem bearings.

i get the same noise takin off from a stop light... sounds kinda like what a kickstand sounds like if u let it spring up fast...

Sounds like play between your clutch plate "ears " and the clutch basket. Pull your clutch cover off and check the condition of the plates/basket. Also, check the tightness of the nut for the front sprocket and the condition of the front sprocket cover. They have been known to crack and that will give you the snapping sound you hear.

Well I went to the dealer to have my chain adjusted and when I left I heard the same exact noise 2 or 3 times pulling from a stop light.I will ride a little bit more and see if it goes away,but if it does not,I will bring it back to the dealer......as much as it pains me to.I only have 2000 miles on the bike

Another possibility. You may have a brake pad in the front sticking. Get some brake cleaner, spray the heck out of them and see if it goes away

Do you think its anything to do with the wheel bearings... or the cush drive
rock.gif

Had the exact same issue on my 04 when I got it. Here's how I fixed it...

Varsol the chain /rear sprocket till they're spic and span clean, spray her down with chain wax and you're good to go! That was at 2K...she's got 20K now and no issue at all. This issue seems to be particular to the Busa's. Must be all that damn RWTQ!! Party on dude!
super.gif

Boy! I thought I was hearing things! I have gone to the dealer many times and explained the noise when starting off from first gear and they don't have a clue. It's an 05' and has made this noise since day one,0 miles on it and it still does it at 5,000 miles. It's just a soft clunk. Had the bike serviced and all parts looked over. Nothing is wrong with the bike they always say. Oh well, I have a 5 year extended warranty!

mine did the same thing.... but at 5500 miles now it doesnt do it anymore... might have been the front brake pads or something i dunno.

Mine too! is this a 05' prob? I have a 05LE with less then 4000 miles. I started hearing the sound around 1,500 miles. And yes the chain is clean/checked every 300-400.???

Mine to. 05 with 12000 miles. Replaced the chain 400 miles ago.........still hear the same noise.

Back