Clunk noise when taking off

Had the dealership look at the problem today said it is the clutch basket and needed adjustment, i'll try it out and if it fixed the problem i'll report back. He also said that the clutch lever needed to be adjusted out and this caused the clutch to drag/wear then the noise.

05 LE 3800 miles

Torque Back Limiter if you let the clutch go to fast or have it partially engaged.

"It only does it once in a while during a normal slow take off in first gear as I'm releasing the clutch lever...usually ~2000 rpm."

Mine was doing the same exact thing...Ended up needing new sprokets & a chain..

Still doing it after dealer checked O.K. He is calling the Suzuki rep. and is going to let me known in the next couple days....???

05 LE 3800 miles

This thread is fascinating.

My 06 has 1700 miles on and it started the same thing about a week ago. Under light acceleration from a stop there is this occasional clunk sound that seems to come from around the front sprocket.
No vibe, just the sound.

Driving me nuts, came here to see if anyone else was getting it!

Thinking about taking it to the dealership but I'd sure like to give them some direction!

my 05 has 3900 miles on it and it does it too... but i have no idea where it is coming from...

New 05 with 50 miles, and I also have the clunk noise when doing wheeleis or just letting out on the cluth fast and on the throtle. did anyone find out what the exact problem was?

got the same thing on my '06 with 7,000 miles. Other than driving me nuts, the noise doesn't seem to effect the ride or performance. I'll be watching to see who figures out this little gremlin!

I will be calling the dealer in the morning. I had this happen before on my second busa, It was something in the clutch houseing. Like everyone else I replaced the wheel bushing, chain, sprockets, It ended up being something easy to fix.

This is the link to what you need to fix the problem. http://www.fastforwardmotorwerks.com/busaclutch.html

http://www.hayabusazone.com/clutch.html

It is called the "back torque limiter". When I had this problem before a mechanic took out the two piece limiter and had it welded together. Problems solved. I had to call him to find out for sure and if that was right and he said yes. My only advice is to check your chain first and make sure that’s not your prop. When me and my wife tried to do a wheelie on the interstate right after I bought the bike I poped the clutch and It clanked so hard and when it did grab the bike stood straight up on me and I had to use the rear brake to catch it. I hope this helps some people. One more thing if your bike is under warranty keep the two piece stock limiter and order a one piece. This will void you warranty if they catch a one piece or a welded one.

I bet you if you go out in the garage and try to move your chain side to side on the rear sprocket it makes the same noise when you do it. It is the chain slapping against the side of the spocket when you start to move again.
smile.gif

I’ll take that bet. This is busa number 5 for me and I also race a Yamaha r6 . I guarantee you that if you haven’t had the two piece torque limiter welded together or bought the one piece torque limiter, that this is what the clank noise you here from time to time. Can It be the chain Yes if it’s about to fall of the bike. If you want to test the torque limiter just get up to speed at about 55 mph 2nd gear and pull the clutch, hit the gas as if you’re going to do a wheelie, and pop the clutch. If you here the clank noise that is the limiter. You can also put your bike on a wheel stand and do the same thing. Put your bike In any gear and give it gas to get the wheel turning, pull the clutch for a quick second and hit the gas hard let the clutch go you will hear the clank noise and the bike will jerk. This is the limiter catching back up with the engine, It acts like a clutch, or you can keep changing your sprockets, wheel bushing, or go home and tighten the chain again and again, what ever floats your boat. If you want to fix the noise go to the sights above.

Ive had this problem. sevral concers are rivets worn on front rotors, triple tree bearings needing retorque, inner fork comeing apart . My busa developed a cush drive worn . a pop in the front . intermitten and now. I have a un stable type of giration or very light front wobble .At 80 to 120 I ride every day . So Ill keep up with your problem and tell you if I fix mine.

Old thread, I know...
My 05 has this low speed clunk. When backing into my driveway I hear it...
Replaced sprockets and chain, cush drive, checked rear wheel bearings...
Still it persists... Perhaps that clutch part will be next.....
Any advice welcomed........

Back