Pope is against condoms to fight aids.

if your morals dictate that it is ok as long as you have a condom... then you are missing his point.... but that is another more conservative view..

if your morals dictate that it is ok as long as you have a condom... then you are missing his point.... but that is another more conservative view..

That is true.
However, the 22 million infected (so far) in Africa are not faced with that same conservative choice as we are.
I for one don't believe they should have to die when there is a prevention available to them.
We can say "education" or in the Popes view "abstinance", but the numbers don't lie....it is not working.
A lot of those numbers are children and it is a horrible way to die.

JMO

http://www.childinfo.org/hiv_aids.html

Roughly 15 million [13-19 million] children under the age of 18 have lost one or both parents to AIDS, and millions more have been affected, with a vastly increased risk of poverty, homelessness, school drop-out, discrimination, and loss of life opportunities. These hardships include illness and death. Of the estimated 2 million [1.8–2.3 million] people who died of AIDS-related illnesses in 2007, 270,000 [250,000–290,000] of them were children under 15 years old. The number of children infected with aids - 2 million

Last edited:

once again...you bring up morality and the catholic church. the religion that protects priest that rape young boys.

the idea that condem use is wrong, that pre-marital sex and permiscuity is wrong are all shouted by the vatican....

that homo-sexuality is an abomination....all views of this pope and the church.

yet they protect a priest that has:

gay sex with young boys
sex outside of marriage
sex with many different boys

how can you even say the word morality and the pope or catholic church without laughing your ass off at the irony..?

remember folks the catholic church was the only Christian denomination for 1500 years. 3 time as along as any modern demonination. They completely controled what everyone believed and were the most powerful institution in Europe. Every modern Christian denomination can trace it's roots to Catholisism in one way or another. This is an example of the catholic church once again living in the middle ages. Oh by the way the earth is not flat nor is the earth the center of the universe.
Posted via Mobile Device

:-) hahaha. I thout it revolved around Uranus.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited:
I had a similar, unwanted, conversation with a drunken Catholic woman (physician's wife) whom I was seated next to at a party. She was going on and on about how evil the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation was for distributing condoms in Africa.

"Those people wouldn't have these problems if they'd live their lives right by God." She railed.

I guess it's easy to pass judgement on those less fortunate when one's bank account, retirement account, kid's college tuition fund, etc. are adequately funded. It's easy when one goes home to sleep in a down-covered bed in a half million dollar home. It's easy when the biggest challenge one faces after eating a $150 meal is deciding whether to take Prilosec or Zantac to counter the side effects inevitable from gorging oneself at the trough.

I didn't respond to the comment directly because I was shocked at the level of shallow self-centeredness displayed by this member of humanity. I make every effort to spend as little time as possible around this individual when I am forced to socialize with her. I pity her poor, wretched soul.

I am dumber today for having known her, and I'll never get those twenty five minutes of my life back.

That is a foolishly narrow view that he's giving. IMO, it borders on cruel.

There was an article about a year ago about how married women in Latin America were one of the groups with the highest new AIDS cases. When aid workers were asked why this is, they said: Catholic charities are not allowed to distribute condoms or give any advise on anything that coud be used as birth control. In Latin America, the men often have several mistresses and frequent brothels because it's considered the "manly" thing to do. Their wives who are not promiscuous are contracting AIDS from thier unfaithful husbands. Granted, even if the charities were able to distribute condoms, many men may not use them. But some would, meaning fewer cases of AIDS and more lives saved.

For an organization that is supposed to be compassionate and nuturing, this stance is a polar opposite.

remember folks the catholic church was the only Christian denomination for 1500 years. 3 time as along as any modern demonination. They completely controled what everyone believed and were the most powerful institution in Europe. Every modern Christian denomination can trace it's roots to Catholisism in one way or another. This is an example of the catholic church once again living in the middle ages. Oh by the way the earth is not flat nor is the earth the center of the universe.
Posted via Mobile Device

Heretic.... :laugh:

Just remember folks, there isn't a lot of wiggle room for anti christian views here on the forum. So, keep it together, stay focused, and avoid any anti christian sentiment.

I'll seek clarification on Anti-Catholic sentiment as they aren't really Christianity, despite what they think.

Alright I'm confused. I know it doesn't take a lot. I'm not Catholic for starters. The Catholic Church will always take this view. Not being Catholic, I believe that the Catholic views on sexual intercourse are between a man and woman who are married and for the purposes of having children. The Pope is not going to come out and say have sex with anyone and everyone you like and by the way here's some condoms. Besides condoms only provide a certain amount of protection, and HIV can be spread many ways other than sexual intercourse or sexual contact.

No one can defend what the Catholic Church did in reaction to a small number of priest that committed a terrible, terrible crime. I don't think they intended to protect the Priest, but to protect the Church. Bad move regardless.

Just remember folks, there isn't a lot of wiggle room for anti christian views here on the forum. So, keep it together, stay focused, and avoid any anti christian sentiment.

I'll seek clarification on Anti-Catholic sentiment as they aren't really Christianity, despite what they think.

I didn't mean for the thread to go Religious.
Sorry to all who are offended.
This view by this one man, supersedes religion, and is just downright wrong, no matter who he is.
Just because he is the leader of the church is of no consequence to his view and of no effect upon the Catholic Religion itself.
If he was a Republican it would be wrong.
If he was a Fireman it would be wrong.
If he was German it would be wrong….etc.
Many Catholics disagree with this stance, me being one.
BTW I am Catholic by birth, was an alter boy, and now take my grandkids to church whenever I can. But I won't remain silent on this.
The Religion is OK this stance is just wrong.
Had some heat tonight with my brother who is more obedient to the rules, but my mind is made up.
So to be clear - I'm not criticizing the religion at all, just this one fellow and his opinion. (Hey I may be related to Henry VIII)

Last edited:
Revils is poking the bear. Opinions are what they are, but the Pope represents something that takes a view based on long standing beliefs. Like I said I'm not Catholic, so I couldn't even begin to defend the Pope. I'm just saying I understand where he's coming from.

I've always wondered?...........Catholic girls get pregnant because the Pope says no condoms/birth control then keep the babies because the Pope says no abortion. Why do they take that advice but disregard what he says about abstinence? :dunno:

Back