Poll: Motul 3000 10w40 Oil and HIFLO HF138 Filter

Motul 3000 Oil and HIFLO HF138 Filter - Good or bad?

• Bad choice on both oil and filter

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I can't vote... I don't think there's anything wrong with your selecton but I tend to stick with the OE filter. :beerchug:

it would be hard to tell if your doing better or worse. As long as a filter doesn't over restrict flow and can keep the junk out of the oil system you'll be fine.

You can compare your filter here:
Motorcycle Oil Filter Comparison

(BTW the K&N filters are made by Hi Flo)
I don't know about your oil, but you are using the right weight.
I think Motul makes good oils.

I've seen that filter comparison before. The thing that strikes me about that comparison every time is that there is no clear conclusion based on the data.

Maybe I'll take a closer look and try to draw some real conclusions.

Thanks for the post!

OK, so I've take the data from the ever popular Motorcycle Oil Filter Comparison and analyzed it on my own. Here's what I've come up with. Looks like my HIFLO HF138 filter isn't a bad bet...based on that data set. However, the data set is only quantitative. Without info on design and funtction, it's still difficult to draw any definitive conclusions.

OilFilters.gif
[/IMG]

Please feel free to feedback on this. Thanks.

Last edited:
the conditional formating for column F looks off... ??? Value 80 = green, Value 37 = Green, but value 76 is yellow? ???

the conditional formating for column F looks off... ??? Value 80 = green, Value 37 = Green, but value 76 is yellow? ???

Actually the formatting is correct. I'm making a distinction based on media type, Advanced/Synthetic (only 2 of the 10 units) vs Conventional. Column F lists the square inch value of the media for each filter. The two green values represent the best (most material) of each type while the two red values represent the worst (least material) of each type and all other values being somewhere in between.

I've heard of some catastrophic failures with the Hiflo filters.....prolly not a big issue, but I steer clear of them just for peace of mind :;):

I use motol and Mobil 1, as for the MOTOL oil if yuo do a lot of high speed, well above 140 MPH, you will be changing that a lot sooner than 3k miles. Just because it will cause the clutch to slip at those speeds.. not so much with mobil 1.. all based on experience at sea level

Back