plus 1" rear links

I did the +1" in the rear and used a set of heli-bars and a genmar 1" riser. I loved the feel of the +1's in terms of quicker turn in and front end feel. Because I had the gen mar riser I decided to also try lowering the front 1". It made the bike almost unstable it was so twitchy even with the appropriate suspension adjustments and it placed a lot more weight on my wrists having both the rear raised and the front lowered. I would suggest either 1" higher in the rear or 1" lower in front but not both.

the thought of lowering the front ANNND raising the rear did cross my mind but i figured it miiiiight effect the suspension a little tooo much. would look wicked though, but dangerous.

will the +1 make the bike want to FALL over as in this quote???!!! seems like everyone is happy with the +1 performance so i think the "FALL OVER" effect as stated in the quote would be with the bike raised in the rear ANNND lowered in the front.

05busale stopped by the other day and was happy with his +1 links. a lot of these replies are positive as far as handling, i think i'll put them on.

(Charlesbusa @ Sep. 30 2007,13:07)
(BIGSMOOTHH @ Sep. 29 2007,22:09) And it understeers like mad.  
Are you sure??

In my opinion, stock understeers and +1" is neutral.

If anything, +1" causes the bike to oversteer.
fall over in a good way, right?

By "revamping" I only mean to check it all out and make sure it's ideal for you. That could mean anything from simply adjusting the stock setup to suit you better (which you will have to do anyway if you raise the rear) to installing a whole you set of springs and valves, front and rear.

I did the entire Racetech setup with 1.0 kg (or was it 1.1) springs in the front and complete rebuild of the rear. I also did the steering damper oil "mod." All of that combined with the 1" lift in the a$$ made the bike ride a lot close to the way the Gixxer 1000 rides. Not quite but it's similar. Still have to deal with all the weight and the longer wheelbase.

Much better bike now.

Next mod? I dunno! I'm still having fun with this one!

--Wag--

(Revolution @ Sep. 30 2007,14:31)
(Charlesbusa @ Sep. 30 2007,13:07)
(BIGSMOOTHH @ Sep. 29 2007,22:09) And it understeers like mad.  
Are you sure??

In my opinion, stock understeers and +1" is neutral.

If anything, +1" causes the bike to oversteer.
fall over in a good way, right?
The bike doesn't fall over, it just takes less effort to make it lean.  Making it "feel" lighter.  But it won't fall over on you.

I think some people use that term because they're use to using a lot of strength to make the bike lean.  Then you put on the 1" raising links and go to throw it into a corner like you always have.  Now the bike feels like its falling over because you're still using the same force as before the mod.

My rear is raised an inch and the with a 190/55 tire the rear is even higher.  But I still have to apply pressure to make the bike lean, just less than stock  
wink.gif

I added +1 a little over a year ago, and i noticed a big difference, feels more like a litre bike (OK never gonna be just like one) but it feels lighter on turn-in and flickability. I won't go back to stock.

Two things....first, once installed, give your body some time to compensate and adjust for the shift in posture.  I originally installed and started noticing this pressure in my wrists.  I called Tom and said, "This feels weird, send me some 1/2" ", and he did, btw they're still on my parts shelf.  A week later me-no-notice-nothing, more agility and at that point had relaxed my wrists, and taken up the difference in my back and knees.  NOW ?, no problems and very much like the posture and performance.

Secondly, like Charles I look to "ride light" at the controls.  My inputs are less stressed even when riding hard, i.e. throttle, brake and clutch, push and pull forces (steer / countersteer)..........more balanced.

SpudleyBusa never handled or controled better.....ride light, but make some room to adjust, it won't happen in one day.  
super.gif

PS I still haven't installed risers.......
cool.gif

thanks each and every one of you for your input and detailed explanation.

i will put them on!

thanks again.

(Revolution @ Sep. 30 2007,19:08) i will put them on!

thanks again.
You're gonna LOVE it! Best mod for twisties - hands down!

Then, after you're used to the +1 and feel neutral when turning into corners again, go to a 190/55 like me, CharlesBusa and others have done...

You'll thank us!

Back