Places to stay suggestions

SABUSABOY

Registered
Hi everyone

Am looking at immigrating to the US from South Africa, am looking at cities to immgrate to.

Looking at Texas, Tennessee, Kentucky, Indiana, Ohio but have no idea what cities to look at. They must be clean, fairly crime free, lots of biking routes and bike shops, really just good places to live with fair amount of jobs.

Need some ideas o cost of living etc, would be aesome if you guys could help me out or point me in the right directions.

Thanks

Good morning SABB, What is it you have chosen as a profession? Salary range?
Do you have appropriate and proper work authorization for the US? Considering the time we live in and the current global terrorist threat, the Patriot Act is a huge hurdle for some trying to legally get into the US for work/residency. Not to mention the unemployment rate here and an employers willingness to hire a non-resident/citizen, I'm thinking it's not going to be very easy for you. That is unless you have all your ducks in a row already.
Let's start there.

Well i am a qualified Motor Body repairer with 15 years experience, have been a Auto Damage Adjuster for a Insurance company here for 3 years. I am not expecting much, i think $45000 is average salary for a loss Adjuster there. Dont have the appropriate and proper work authorization for the US but will be going to the US embassy here to see if i would qualify for a work visa first. But i need to get all my options on paper first and see if it worth moving to the US.

I have always dreamed of moving to the States, but the way things are going in this country, its not worth staying here any more.

Well, the best places for jobs are usually where the most population is. But that is also usually where more people are looking for jobs. What you are describing is something we would all like to have. Good job, great roads, no crime. Where is that, maybe Colorado, but I have looked for jobs up there. :poke:

Get on some job websites, Monsters.com, etc and look and see what jobs are out there. At least you can get a baseline and search for locations.

My wife has send out hundreds of resume's in the last few weeks, she has two degrees and lots of work experience, only one call back. I wont lie, its a tough job market right now. You almost have to be specialized. You say you are a mechanic, can you get ASE certified? Or are you already? Thats a for sure job if you can.

Tried going to ASE website, keeps giving me an error. Will keep trying and see if i have to pass a test or if my qualification can be carried over from SA

Well, as far as crime rate in the USA I think almost anyplace you pick from your list will be better that S.A.

Every year there's a forbes report that comes out that ranks the top cities in the USA. They're rated by jobs, crime, median income, median age, median education, cultural activities, etc.

You should really try and network through your job to try and make some contacts with companies in the USA that are within your current profession.

What ever you do, don't come to New Jersey. :laugh:

I saw that NJ is quite expensive to live, was checking the whole of yesterday at places.
Going to keep on searching, will find something, and there are alot of Auto damage appraiser jobs on monster, but let me keep checking and then make an inform choice on what and where to go.
But if i did come to NJ at least i would be close to Bob Carpenter, seeing thats all my money would be going.:thumbsup:

But if i did come to NJ at least i would be close to Bob Carpenter, seeing thats all my money would be going.:thumbsup:
lol, you wouldn't have to pay any shipping charges. :thumbsup:

NJ has some of the highest taxes and cost of living is very high.

Also think about what kind of climate you enjoy. If you're a summer & shore kinda guy you wouldn't want to move to Montana. The lower states give you a longer ridding season. The northern states tuck the bikes away for the winter and pull out the snowmobiles.

Well if i cant make the US i will look at Canada, at least i could come fetch my parts if i stayed in Toronto, sure be cheaper than having them shipped to SA.

Paint and Body should have work about anywhere you desire to live. I would contact some the insurance companies. Are you willing to go back to repairing?

Back