Piston choice for turbos

Johnnie Phatt

Registered
Hi again . More questions . I am going to assume a lower comporession piston needs to be intalled with a Turbo . Is one brand better than any other What comp ratio do you go down to?
i know this is like an oil thread . Sorry .

No, it really isn't. There are a number of choices out there. JE, CP, Wossner, for instance. I would never use JE because of their past propensity to cracking wrist pin bores. JE uses a Wiseco forging and the problem was so bad many years back, they decided to change the piston design. Their answer was to add more material to the dome of the piston, not really addressing the original problem and remaining with the original design. Then you have CP, which is affiliated to Carrillo, a brand with good reputation. CP lowers the compression on their turbo piston by moving the wrist pin bore up on the piston. The problem with this is that the wrist pin bore ends up intruding into the oil ring rail, so they give you and extra rail to support the pin more. CP pistons can cause smoke in the exhaust as a result. Not a great design, IMHO. Wossners are moly coated, laterally gas ported, are balanced and come with a tool steel wrist pin. These are features other brands charge you extra for, but are standard with Wossners. We have had stock bore Wossner turbo pistons well over 600 rear wheel with no detrimental issues.
Wossners for a Gen 1 require a spacer plate, for a Gen 2, the standard base gasket. Go with Wossners, which we keep in stock . . . my opinion, obviously. I am sure others will chime in with their experiences, listen to everything you hear, consider the source and make your own decision.

To the extent of my limited knowledge, the only thing I would add to Frank's statement is the budget issue. Most people do not have the luxury of unlimited funding. Given that, your base assumption is incorrect, pistons are not the only way to reduce compression. A base plate will accomplish that goal for far less expense. That being said, cheaper isn't always better, if you are looking to make over 300 hp you're pushing the limit of factory rods, so it makes financial sense to spend extra and do pistons while you're in there.
Frank has an excellent reputation, and is giving solid technical data and advice, especially in the last sentence.

Back