Physical fitness and the Busa

I got 3rd in Florida masters 2017, then stopped due to other priorities.

Day after a really hard race, I would do a very light high cadence recovery spin, just to clean out the legs.

Today, that light recovery spin seems a major workout.

Amazing how the body adapts.

Unlike you though, I really miss that level of fitness. Planning to get back into it slowly.

Healthy body is a healthy mind.
I'd like to get back to my former level of fitness but all those years of building and maintaining that fitness level has taken a toll on my body.....

Having to walk/run those untold miles upon miles with full equipment sometimes through deserts, jungles, swamps, ice and snow, hard landings from parachuting, rappelling, out the back of vehicles, climbing mountains and the like are not conducive to have a happy ever after especially at the end of most of these activities there wasn't a finish line but rather a determined, aggressive and fanatical enemy awaiting us.

I'd like to get back to my former level of fitness but all those years of building and maintaining that fitness level has taken a toll on my body.....

This right here!
At one point I was running ultra marathons and down to 8% body fat. Fractured my ankle once, twice, and then a third time and now I'm 50 lbs heavier, 4 years older, and too many joint problems to ever get to that point again.

This right here!
At one point I was running ultra marathons and down to 8% body fat. Fractured my ankle once, twice, and then a third time and now I'm 50 lbs heavier, 4 years older, and too many joint problems to ever get to that point again.
I can relate, the thing I loved took a toll on my body. Powerlifting! Weighed 286 pounds, flat benched 540, declined benched 650, and heavy squats & deadlifts, 38 years later I’m nearing 61 and I’ve been medically diagnosed with severe arthritis in both knees, bursitis in both hips, arthritis in both thumbs and I’m sure I probably have arthritis in my back but I figure why ask something I already know the answer to. I still lift weights but on a lot lighter scale and if I hit a bump in the road while riding my motorcycle it takes my breath and I grunt, but I keep on keeping on and refuse to feel or say I’m old.

Long story short, the Busa in complete stock form always fitted me like a glove.

Did the Widowmaker circuit this morning, 65miles here in central NC, with a buddy in tow and this bike scared me all the way. Twisties I use to hit at 90mph scared me at 55mph.???

What changed? I use to be an athlete, stretched 1/2 hour every morning with about 15 hours of physical training a week. Stopped a year ago as all my time went into a new house on a new property. So I gained around 15 pounds and my flexibility went South.

Wow, guess I am getting old, maybe time to buy a convertible and sell the bike?

Do the fast riders here stay in shape?
How old are you?

(Disclaimer - I was not part of any professional organization where I need to had fitness level as many of the previously commented fellow forum members. All my respect to them, that is/was a very challenging life form. I am an average Joe. I haven't got books, food supplements to sell, it is just a reading about the lessons learned of my journey which transformed to hopefully something interesting. This is not official system, not tested by the WHO, etc.)

I feel somehow that the Busa is not a huge teenager magnet as it was used to. So for us who have our fair share of experience from here and there we need sometimes some more feasible solution than strict workout plans, gym memberships, turboshortcut diets. I have started my related journey back in 1999 and tried (succeed/failed) many so called "solutions). The following findings are the result of 25+ years experience.

For me any form of participating today's traffic is a battle in itself. This battle becomes more and more intense as you increase the number of involved humans and/or you increase the pace. So for me it is not just about the physical intelligence (PQ), but it requires a certain amount of emotional intelligence (EQ), spiritual intelligence (SQ) snd last but not least IQ, the very well known intelligence.

In my opinion you need to balance your skills, emotions, trust and beliefs with you physical endurance to keep yourself composed and safe on the bike and in the traffic situations. You need to decrease the level of distraction, increase focus, have the proper level of self awareness, control your emotions. To build up some feasible solution and give you start kick on the way towards the resilience and to unlock the capabilities for the creation of your personal and feasible approach for this overall balance it may worth to check the ideas below.

365 Challenge (PQ, EQ, SQ, IQ) change your life with one day at a time!

Is it a Diet? Is it a Workout plan? No! It is decontamination of you mind and your body.

Made this yours. Customize it. This is not a program, no belts, no certification, no subscription fees, no badges. Just you, the work, day after day. One step after the other. No failure, just learning.

Get your life back and hold it like you have only one: Fight the Zombie!

1.) Beginner (Do not think - it is usually not a problem for starters - just do it and repeat):

Physical journey:

- Incrementally increase the reps/length of push-up(ish), sit-up(ish), squat(ish), plank(ish) (seconds) with one every day passed until 365. (Start with one on day one.)

Goal: Keep it simple. Make it stick. Crawl.

Control question: Ask yourself when searching for excuses: Am I still have time eating more than once and reading fake news or rolling reels on social media? Then you are fooling and sabotaging yourself. You are still waiting for external encouragement. No one cares, as you own your body and you own your mind, you should care. Start all over again. No failure until you can start again.

2.) Intermediate (When you are ready to shift gears)

Physical journey:

- Incrementally increase the reps/length of push-up, sit-up, squat, plank (seconds), dead hang on a pull-up bar (seconds) until 365. (Start with one on day one.)

Health booster: (Your body need your help to operate as it has been designed):

- Schedule your meals within Intermittent fasting framework (Eating window 8h non-eating 16h)
- Minimize drug like substances like: alcohol, thumb rolling activities, clickbait "news", social media, etc.

Extras:

- Make your bed every day right after you wake up
- Give up hot shower and move towards more gentle&colder temperature

Goal: You can crawl, stand up and start walking.

Control question: If you are asking yourself why I am doing this, then stop for a moment and find your why. This is for you not for others. Won't be any external reward. It is all internal and all yours.

3.) Advanced (If you are hooked and you want more)

Physical Journey:

- Incrementally increase the reps/length of push-up, sit-up, squat, plank (seconds), pull-up. (Start with one on day one.)

Health booster:

- One meal day
- Stop drug like substances like: alcohol, thumb rolling activities, clickbait "news", social media, etc. unless it gives you value. (e.g.: sell/buy something or similar REAL value add)

Extras:
- Start your day at 4:30 AM
- Cold shower

Goal: You can walk. Start running then!

Control question: When your tank is empty are you able to answer why are you doing this? If the answer is no, find your REAL why as your previous one didn't make the cut. What you are looking for is your internal driver, your life purpose. So dial the challenge back for a while until you are ready.

4.) Master (If you are in the flow and enjoying yourself: After above described warm-up, you are ready to start the real journey):

Add MyDay on top of Advanced: mental, physical cleansing

- In every period of days increase incrementally by multiplication of 10 add a MyDay incrementally starting with 1 MyDay in first 10 days period, continue with 2 consecutive MyDays in the following 20 days after ... and finish with 8 consecutive MyDays in the period of last 80 days.
- A recommendation for a feasible MyDay full day water fast, 1x run, 1x meditation, 1x yoga approx 15-30 minutes per activity.

Choose your Challenge - even better if you create it. Plan it. Prepare for it. Achieve it. Share it. Be proud, but humble. Do not brag about it.

Example: if you want to hike 100 miles within 48h, build up incrementally every quarter add one more 25 miles. Start with one step, survive, learn, adapt, win. One step after the other.

Do not forget: One day at a time!

I am very curious to have your comments, your stories, feedbacks.

Last edited:
Back