Photochromic Shields

Busa Jules

Little blue pill, M.Ed.
Donating Member
Registered
Living in the sunny south and doing long rides, I always run into problems when I leave the house with my smoke shield and end up riding home at night with a face full of lovebugs.

These photochromic shields seem like a godsend... but how well do they work? Do they get dark enough to not have to wear shades? How quickly do they lighten up?

I haven’t seen one for a Shoie, but would try one if available.

I use an iridium and it seems to cause me less problems in low light than a smoked one. It still is not suitable for night use at all. (although an HID helps.) I do sometime leave the house with it at dusk.

I tried an insert once and was very unhappy with the distortion.

It doesn’t really answer your question about photochromatic shields but I use one of two methods.
1) I carry a spare shield in a holder that has a strap you wear like a belt. The spare shield itself wraps around from my chest to my back just under my arm or at the waist I don’t even notice it there now. I can change the Shoei shield in less than a minute. This is the most common way I do it.

2) use a clear shield with sunglasses.

That Stealth helmet is bad-ass! I didn't see any pricing on that helmet and the sunshift-visor. Any ideas?

Scorpio has a visor that darkens in the light and I have on and I like it. The visor darkens and lightens very well with the the amount of light out side.

(deleted by thrasherfox for the safety of the members. read my post below concerning this)

These AKUMA helmets are cool.... One guy here carries it.... but gotta have lots of $$$$

I saw something in Two Wheel Tuner about WIKI helmets having soemthing like this but can't find them anywhere on the internet.... Ever heard of them before?

wiki has a shift sheild and then there is also pro-grip that makes a insert but like said before there is a bit of distortion.

The scorpion sheild is nice too if you have one of there helmets.

The best this I have found is just have a pair of sunglasses and a clear sheild if you dont like ridding with a tented sheild at night.

Josh

Hey everyone!!

I passed bad gouge earlier and I am sorry for that.

In reference to Akuma helmets: I will refrain from making specific comments for liability reasons. however buyer beware. and he probably cannot get the visors.... if anyone bookmarked the links.. forget them

I bought an Irridium for my Shoei and didn't like it, wasn't dark enough for me in sunlight. I gave it to USN05LE (Don) and he likes it, and DOES wear it at night!
smile.gif

I carry a spare shield in my tank bag, fits perfectly around the perimeter and therefore takes NO space!
super.gif

never tried one.
i bought a irridum hids help at night. i found that a extra shield will fit in the hump. so when i ride after dark

(ranman @ Sep. 27 2007,20:02)  i found that a extra shield will fit in the hump.
Have you taken the "bottom' out of your hump? I was trying to figure a way to get a spare shield under mine and no matter how I turned and maneuvered it there was still going to be a bind when I put the hump back on.

i replaced the bolts with thumb screws. so its easyer to get it in there. it is kinda forced in there, i keep it in a fabric cover. a pain to get it in. but it does fit

Gold iridium on a shoei rf1000 and I run it day and night.. not quite at good as the smoked for day rides, but seems fine at night for me. I do carry sunglasses for bright day rides anyway

Back