Iridium shield

PDBusa

who, me?
Donating Member
Registered
I bought a Suomy lid during a group buy here last year. I rarely wear it, but had to have it.  
wink.gif
At any rate, I soon after bought an iridium shield for it. This is the saga;
Shield 1 doesn't fit correctly 1/8-1/4" gap around top, will not seal. Contact Suomy USA they advise it has lost it's shape, return for new one. Okay, thanks.
Shield 2 still won't fit perfect but I can live with it.
sad.gif
Wear it one time, return home after ride and wet it to wipe bugs off, iridium coating removed with bugs.  
mad.gif
Call Suomy USA they advise there was a defective group of shields shipped to US, I have one. They will ship a new one out when new order arrives. I wait 6 months. I forgot about it over winter and just wore the Shoei during spring. I call Suomy USA to check on new shield and they apologize and ship one out next day. I must have the CEO direct line or something.  
tounge.gif

Shield 3 I get and wear once, refuse to clean it during ride. When home I drape a water dampened towel to soften bugs and wipe with a brand new microfiber cloth. Scratched. I call Suomy USA and speak with a rep. must have been upper level corporate, and tell him of my on going dissappointment with product. He takes number and advises he will call back from warehouse. He does about 15 minutes later. He tells me he has new shield, and has rubbed the snot out of it with water and a cloth, no scratching. He will next day ship it.
Shield 4 arrives and has in new package detailed instructions on cleaning with water, and nothing else. It has been on lid for last few months in helmet bag. I just don't wear it much, it's dark and it needs to be bright out to see through it. I use it today and take a ride. Midway through ride I can't see much due to bugs. I have bottled water and a microfiber just for this purpose because I don't want problems. I wet the shield to soften the fresh kill, and wipe with the microfiber. SCRATCH.  
mad.gif

What am I doing wrong here? Are these $60.00 1 use disposable shields? I am thoroughly dissappointed in Suomy products at this point. The shield makes the look of lid but is otherwise useless. I'd call them again but this will be # 5. I guess I'll just put the clear shield on and only use at night, which I rarely ride.
sad.gif

Has anyone else has similiar problems with iridium shields?

mad.gif

sad.gif

I've always heard that the iridium shields scratch far too easily...they show wear long before most other shields...

Sorry Charlie, should have asked me about that one before you bought it too...when will you learn?!
tounge.gif

Hopefully someone at Suomy will give you some good news and some cash back...

BTW, that's the longest post you've ever put up
laugh.gif

Sorry PD I have only had one Iridium and had the same problems with it as you do. Now I just used a tinted for the day and a clear for the night.

(VaBusa @ Sep. 24 2007,13:54) BTW, that's the longest post you've ever put up  
laugh.gif
Yeah. I've been working on the two finger typing on that post for 7 weeks now!
laugh.gif

Thanks Gunny. That's why I use the Shoei more. Claening and changing shields is easy. Was going to use the Suomy just for super bright days, like today. Now it will just be the wifes lid. In the last 10,000 miles on the busa she's been... about 5 of them.

laugh.gif

Wow sorry to hear this... I've had fantastic luck with not only durability but ease of use and installation with my Shoei irridium shield. Good to have these forums so we can see how stuff holds up and service after the sale.... Keep us posted?

Suomy customer service has been outstanding. They just kept sending free replacements. They must be aware of defect, that's why they changed packaging and included explicit cleaning instructions(btw which is the way I've been cleaning). I'm just tired of calling them and complaining.

The shield on a Suomy is no where near as easy to change as a Shoei, so I was hoping to just the Suomy as my bright sunny day lid. Now it's just a spare lid that sits on the shelf in it's bag.

The mirrored shield really makes the helmet look awesome, that's why I bought it. I guess i'm just not destined to look cool...
SHOCKED.gif

PD,

Just a quick note here, but I've had the iridium shoei products for two years and still have my original, which isn't in bad shape and a spare for the newer rf 1000. I use plexus on the clear as well as the tinted, and have suffered no ill effects. I've scrubbed bugs, finger-printy's, I haven't seen any major defects other than the occasional, "Whoops-rubbed-that-up-against-something" now there's a mark type stuff.

Sorry for your misfortune.

Spud.

1 full season on my Shoei Iridium an not a bit of trouble. I remove and wash it as needed with "Dawn" dish soap and my hands. I dry with plain old paper towel (single swipe from side to side) No scratches or loss of iridium.

field cleaning is always tougher on shields than warm water from your kitchen sink. I liked the look of the iridium shields but it'd make me more nuts than I already am trying to keep it clean. Shoei dark shields for me in the daytime.

My Arai shield was ok for about a year, but if i look at now it scratches!LOL

I have an iridium shield on my Shoei, no problems at all, helmet and shield about 17 yrs. old X-8. Also had Rainbow iridium wind screen on my bike, Power Bronze, from Street And Track, (Charles). Also no problems.

(ks-waterbug @ Sep. 24 2007,16:49)
(VaBusa @ Sep. 24 2007,14:28)
(PDBusa @ Sep. 24 2007,15:27) I guess i'm just not destined to look cool...  
SHOCKED.gif
Step ONE my friend, you've managed to accomplish step one...

poke.gif

smileyexhibit.gif
ROTF.... Michelle your not right! But, dayum funny
No, well maybe a little funny, but she's really just plain mean, and evil that's all. just ask anyone who's been sentenced to the corner. Constant torment. It's inhumane.
pissed.gif

(PDBusa @ Sep. 25 2007,10:34)
(ks-waterbug @ Sep. 24 2007,16:49)
(VaBusa @ Sep. 24 2007,14:28)
(PDBusa @ Sep. 24 2007,15:27) I guess i'm just not destined to look cool...
SHOCKED.gif
Step ONE my friend, you've managed to accomplish step one...

poke.gif

smileyexhibit.gif
ROTF.... Michelle your not right! But, dayum funny
No, well maybe a little funny, but she's really just plain mean, and evil that's all. just ask anyone who's been sentenced to the corner. Constant torment. It's inhumane.
pissed.gif
Oh, I'll show you inhumane...I have not yet begun to belittle you! Be scared! Be VERY scared!
firedevil.gif

That's why i only use a clear screen and wear sunglasses. At night i use clear safety glasses.

+1 on the plexas , it is a bit $$$ but well worth it use it all the time on tinted irridum and the clear last time i hit the dealer they had a big can abd a little can for like 7 dollars spray it on foams up and sizzles wipe it off gently and clean , even the bugz!

Back