PETA ads... holy smokes!

isnt there a difference between Vegan and Vegetarian? Vegan off the deepend? :)

I never understood Vegans. What's wrong with using animals for their byproducts so long as they are treated humanely? I buy free-range eggs for that reason.

I'm on the site Bogus, but where is this video you speak of?

peta.org/content/standalone/veggielove/Default.aspx

May be mildly NSFW, but for the most part it's harmless. Nothing worse than a Victoria's Secret commercial.

Last edited:
isnt there a difference between Vegan and Vegetarian? Vegan off the deepend? :)

Opened a real can of worms here.
This will make it clear as mud (or State of the Union....whatever....)
You know there is a problem with some of this when you read on.

Vegetarian Frequently Asked Questions -Definitions

Vegetarian: For the purpose of membership of IVU, vegetarianism includes veganism and is defined as the practice of not eating meat, poultry or fish or their by-products, with or without the use of dairy products or eggs.
Often broken down further into OVO-LACTO, and LACTO. Vegetarians may or may not try and minimize their non food use of animals like vegans.
Ovo-Lacto Vegetarian: same as VEGAN (see right), but also eats eggs and milk products. This is the most common form of Vegetarianism in many Western countries.
Lacto Vegetarian: Same as VEGAN, but also consumes milk and milk products. Common in India.
Veggie -- Shortened nick-name for a VEGETARIAN; often includes VEGANs.
Halal Vegetarian - proposed by our friends in the West Asia region as "a person or product complying with the generally accepted definitions of both Halal and Vegetarian."
DEFINITIONS OF SOME OTHER CONFUSING TERMS:
Strict vegetarian (or Pure Vegetarian): originally appears to have meant 'vegan' (before that word was invented), now can now mean vegan or vegetarian, or almost anything.
Semi-Vegetarian: Eats less meat than average person. See also PSEUDO-VEGETARIAN.
Pseudo-Vegetarian: Claims to be vegetarian, but isn't. Often used by VEGETARIANS to describe SEMI-VEGETARIANs, and PESCETARIANs.
Pescetarian: Similar to VEGETARIAN, but also consumes fish. (often is a person avoiding factory-farming techniques...) See also PSEUDO-VEGETARIAN.
Fruitarian: Same as VEGAN, but only eats foods that don't kill the plant (apples can be picked without killing the plant, carrots cannot).
Vegetable Consumer: Means anyone who consumes vegetables. Not necessarily a VEGETARIAN.
Herbivore: Mainly eats grass or plants. Not necessarily a VEGETARIAN.
Plant-Eater: Mainly eats plants. Not necessarily a VEGETARIAN.
Nonmeat-Eater: Does not eat meat. Most definitions do not consider fish, fowl or seafood to be meat. Animal fats and oils, bonemeal and skin are not considered meat.
Kosher: Made according to a complex set of Jewish dietary laws. Does not imply VEGAN in any case. Does not imply OVO-LACTO VEGETARIAN in any case. Even KOSHER products containing milk products may contain some types of animals which are not considered 'meat'.
Pareve/Parve: One category in KOSHER dietary laws. Made without meat or milk products or their derivatives. Eggs and true fish are pareve, shellfish are not.
Nondairy: Does not have enough percentage of milkfat to be called dairy. May actually contain milk or milk derivatives.
Nonmeat: Made without meat. May include eggs, milk, cheese. Sometimes even included animal fats, seafood, fish, fowl.
What is Macrobiotic?
from a member of ivu-sci:
According to Donna Secker and Stanley Zlotkin writing in Essentials of Human Nutrition, "macrobiotic diets consist of unpolished rice, pulses and vegetables with small additions of fermented foods, nuts, seeds and fruit; animal products are not consumed" (not sure about the last phrase - I thought that fish was allowed in the macrobiotic diet).
The authors warn that "in infants consuming a macrobiotic diet, a clear relationship has been demonstrated between diet, nutrient intake and physical and biochemical evidence of deficiency for several nutrients including iron, vitamins B12, D, and riboflavin. Slower growth rates and higher incidence of nutritional diseases such as rickets, kwashiorkor and anaemia have been reported."
Vegan: excludes animal flesh (meat, poultry, fish and seafood), animal products (eggs and dairy), and usually excludes honey and the wearing and use of animal products (leather, silk, wool, lanolin, gelatin...).
The major vegan societies all disallow honey, but some "vegans" still use it. Some "vegans" also refuse to eat yeast products.
Dietary Vegan: follows a vegan diet, but doesn't necessarily try and exclude non-food uses of animals.
Plant-Based Diet - increasingly being used to mean a diet exclusively of plant material, therefore the same as 'Dietary Vegan'.

All I know is when I was one, BEER was a fruit so I was OK. (also nachos) :laugh:

Last edited:
Punxy Phil lucky to have a job & da peta liberals want to put him out of it :rofl: Nothin like do gooders, Phil (Phat Phil) prolly cant wait to move back into a hole in the ground out in some field somewhere, He'd be sure thanking them.........

Last edited:
Back