Personal Riding Attire

G

I've been riding now for while with just "Kevlar" jeans, Olympia gloves, and First Gear leather jacket...but lately feel I need more/better gear....

Any recommendations.....I'm leaning towards an Aerostitch, but I won't rule leathers out....One consideration is I commute to work and ride in temps ranging from 35-95 degrees depending on the season....

Thanks for the input!

[This message has been edited by Scott (edited 13 October 1999).]

I bought an Aerostich last summer and it has been great. I have the one piece with hip pads and back protector. It goes on fast and comes off fast and works well in the rain. Only downside might be that it is fairly bulky and can't be folded up easy with the back protector-kind of hot in the summer too-but I would buy it again in a second. It becomes very easy to throw on the suit and head out for a ride with good protection. There were a lot of these suits at a Pridmore school I did. Still not the equal of leather in a high speed slide but who is going to throw on some leathers over their street clothes to head out to work!

The more of that uncomfortable protective gear you're willing to ride with, the more comfortable you'll feel riding fast to work and back.

Nothing cramps your cornering style like a T-shirt.

Assuming you're on a Busa or another sporty, just go straight to full leathers. They're OK in limited rain if you spray'em down with camping silicone.

I keep a complete change of clothes at work, plus toiletries. Plus a couple quartsa bourbon, Attends, an up-to-date will and other things not relevant to this topic.

It's a pain changing twice every day at work. But it makes for a grand prix commute! And the secretaries love it when you come in late dressed like Darth.

Scott...there are a number of threads in here on apparel and on packing for commuting. Be creative with the search function and ye shall find!

If you have trouble finding the threads because they're under topic names chosen by Members who were on mescalin at the time they posted, ask and I'll find the threads for you.

If I'm not on mescalin when you ask, that is.

I now have a full set of Vanson leathers; Cobra jacket and Sport pants. The jacket has a perforated leather torso with zip-up flaps inside to cut off the ventilation. It works very well but I haven't been out in 90+ weather so I can't comment. However I can say that the leather is so thick that the suit probably weighs 20-25 pounds, it makes me feel very safe while riding. I also debated between an Aerostitch and leathers and decided that nothing feels or smells like a good set of leathers.
P.S. The Vanson stuff is topnotch but I paid almost $1000 for the jacket and pants. After riding with them must say its worth the money.

I wear a Dainese Tech-3 suit on the Busa most of the time, although you might catch me in Joe Rocket gear for inclement weather or a sloe ride...The Tech-3 is a two piece suit with a thermoliner and I can use my E vest with it, but is is also a "full race" suit equal in protection to the rest of their "Techno" line...no perforations, but the vents do work at speed...the styling is flashy but sort of "classic" rather than the more jagged themes of today, and it complements the Black Busa in a high visability sort of way...I also wear a Dainese Back Space back protector under everything else...Shoei RF 800 helment... I realy couldn't afford this stuff, but...These ain't mopeds! My brother in Santa Cruz CA swears by his Roadcrafter suit and is a sporty rider, but he dosn't have a Hayabusa! His idea of a fast bike is a KZ1000LR, so examin your needs and check out the market.

[This message has been edited by Hapo (edited 12 October 1999).]

I've got the Dainese Flash2 Jacket (has all armor built in) and leather pants (same setup) that zip together, and my kevlar/CF reinforced gloves. For commuting I normally just use the jacket, heavy jeans and heavy work boots. For weekend riding it's leather pants, jacket and GP tech boots. I've been down in full gear, and will say it does save you alot of grief (and looks cool!).

Thanks....

What boots and gloves do you recommend...I was thinking about Sidi boots...

I have a two piece Aerostitch that works well over office clothes. It's Goretex and mostly dry in the rain. It's bulky and uncool looking but I'm happy with it. Also I ordered the full armor including hip & back protectors. I do about 35 miles of interstate to work.

My feeling is that if you're thinking of racing at all it would be better to buy the leather.

I am interested in what everyone does for gloves and boots. I am currently using old Army combat boots. So far they're OK and were cheap(only cost 2 years of my life).

I'm wearing a set of Vanson's too my third set. I got the Cobra jacket and Sport rider pants. Very comfortable in hot or cold and they crash really good. I go along with keeping a change of clothes at work and my wife chimed in that there is something about a guy in a black leather suit. For boots I like Alpinestars and Sidi's best.

I've had Akita two-piece roadracing leathers from Motoport for about five years. I use an electric vest inside when necessary. A couple years ago I bought an Aerostitch two-piece, rode in it for a week-long 2,000 mile trip and hated it. Sent it back and got a full refund. Decided my leathers were more comfortable. The make me feel a lot more secure, too, with good armor.

I got the sidi vetebra chromo. Fits really comfy, and are very flexible. I've heard commments ranging from they look like space boots to the look gay (the chrome gives it a really flashie look). From what i have read and experienced these boots are top notch. The chrome, by the way can be replaced with carbon fiber. be safe

I got the sidi vetebra chromo. Fits really comfy, and are very flexible. I've heard commments ranging from they look like space boots to the look gay (the chrome gives it a really flashie look). From what i have read and experienced these boots are top notch. The chrome, by the way can be replaced with carbon fiber. be safe

Get leathers with with protective Foam inserts. Elbows/Knees/Hip area, believe me I know.

Leathers with just extra reinforcement, (thicker Leather) won't help on impact.

161 ®

Tank top, shorts, flip flops and sun glasses.
HAHA
No but really, Vanson leathers (Cobra jacket), Sidi boots, and Arai RX7-RR3 helmet.

Paul

Back