perimeter brakes

Queamore

Registered
Anyone seen them tried them like them don't like them what do you think. I tjink they make sense I think it would help the bike to stop faster.

Anyone seen them tried them like them don't like them what do you think. I tjink they make sense I think it would help the bike to stop faster.

Eric Buell thought it was a good idea....I have them on a bike I am trying to build...it is very similar to this bike...I bought the frame / wheels / brakes from their shop

eric buell.png

brake rotor.jpg

You mean like these on my front wheel? Unlike Buell, I have 2 perimeter brakes full floating rotors. They are too strong with stock master cylinder

The wheels usually have to be made to accept the rotors as well.

brake%20_1_.JPG

BB

Looks killer, I'm sure they stop just as good. This set up would be way out of my brake budget though.... sad times

I thought i replied to this thread already. I have Marchesini wheels with twin rotor mounted perimeter brakes that came with the bike. With the stock master cylinder, they are too strong for the street.

brake%20_1_.JPG

BB

I suspect there are a number of disadvantages, and would be curious to know why they are not being widely utilized, even by motogp guys.

I thought i replied to this thread already. I have Marchesini wheels with twin rotor mounted perimeter brakes that came with the bike. With the stock master cylinder, they are too strong for the street.

brake%20_1_.JPG

BB

These look pretty expensive. I don't even want to ask how much.

Not sure how we got two threads on this, but they've been merged.

I am not sure of the cost but you needed the Marchesini front wheel ( magnesium) in order to have the set up (and the front wheel is not cheap either).

One thing is for sure, I doubt you will ever warp the rotor due to the much large surface area.

I bought the bike with all the goodies already on it.

BB

i ran into reliability/durability issues with the brake setup on my buell 1125r. enough to make me want to , and eventually get rid of the bike. they were supposed to be floating but the design doesn't compare to the hub mount floating rotors. the heat transfer was reduced due to the small contact areas over such a large wheel, they got really hot real quick. 5000 miles on a new rotor and it was warped ... hold the brake lever down at a stop light on a hot brake and the pad starts to melt onto the rotor.. enough of those causes enough buildup to make the lever pulse. Lots of people were regularly cleaning rotors with brake cleaner and scotchbrite. I didn't enjoy the maintenance of that setup... plus the rotors weren't cheap or readily available.

i ran into reliability/durability issues with the brake setup on my buell 1125r. enough to make me want to , and eventually get rid of the bike. they were supposed to be floating but the design doesn't compare to the hub mount floating rotors. the heat transfer was reduced due to the small contact areas over such a large wheel, they got really hot real quick. 5000 miles on a new rotor and it was warped ... hold the brake lever down at a stop light on a hot brake and the pad starts to melt onto the rotor.. enough of those causes enough buildup to make the lever pulse. Lots of people were regularly cleaning rotors with brake cleaner and scotchbrite. I didn't enjoy the maintenance of that setup... plus the rotors weren't cheap or readily available.

Obviously Buell got it wrong on that bike. On my set up , they are true full floating rotors and you can feel the rotor move slightly upon brake application. With 2 front rotors, they are formidable brakes. Mine use 4 piston calipers, not 6.

I have put on 10000 miles on mine since I got the bike and they hardly show much wear.

I will have to buy a different master cylinder at some point as they are too strong.

They dont use steel brakes for racing, they use carbon brakes. Steel are too heavy for race use...

BB

Back