Performance mods on a Busa Sand Rail

King Sand Cars

Registered
<span style='color:blue'></span>Hello! We build sand cars using the Busa as our powerplant.  We started using the TRE on our cars about 6 months ago they made a huge difference.  There's a lot more torque available for hill climbing and being able to lug the motor up a dune without downshifting like we had to do before.

This is my 4th demo car and the first one that I've ever had motor problems with. I noticed the car skipping in second gear on a hard load my last trip out.  I don't know if it's because of the TRE, we'll see if other customers who are just now putting the TRE on their cars have the same problem.  

So, I pulled the motor out of this car and am sending it up to Vegas to be worked on by Heads up Performance. They'll undercut the transmission gears and anything else I want them to do.  Since I'm sending it up there...I was just wondering what else I might do for some reliable HP and Torque.  We have three turbo cars out there and they're great for the sand drags, they put the V8 cars to shame, but they're not so good for duning.  So I'm not interested in a turbo as I dune more then I drag or shoot the hills.  

I'd like to do some mods, put the motor back in and slap a power commander on it and have it dyno'd.  I'm just looking for advise on what to do to the motor that will still leave it highly reliable (as it is now) and give it some more grunt.  I wasn't even considering NOS until I started reading some posts here...using NOS will allow me to dune like I always do now, and have extra power for the sand drags and competing at the hills. If I do go with NOS, what would you recommend I do to the motor and what NOS system should I go with?

Just for your info...we use a 14/66 tooth sprockets and the cars top out at about 100 mph (fast in the sand with bumps and ruts)  You can view some video's of the cars in action at KingSandCars.com go to the video page.

Thanks in advance for your advise. <span style='font-family:comic sans ms'></span>

34599A6A_D358_BB8A_EDF4124AA65CA1EE.jpg

Sounds like your headed in the right direction with the tranny, as to the TRE and your problem that would be the first time I've ever heard anyone mention it as a possible suspect given your list of symptons. Oh, welcome to the Org there are MANY combinations for performance you could do with your bike motor to bring her alive for the Dunes! NOS is just one of them, big bore, turbo (sounds like you got that one covered), and multiple combinations of all of them..... Should have some more tech heads checking in as the day goes on which should give you what your looking for.  
beerchug.gif

You just got a bad 2nd gear....if motor is coming apart do a cleaned up head, a set of web cams or dual intake cams,Good set of Rods...you can put a nos system on also...Where is Alpine at?I helped redo a Tom Pro car recently for a guy up here...

(GoldenChild @ Dec. 25 2006,15:07) You just got a bad 2nd gear....if motor is coming apart do a cleaned up head, a set of web cams or dual intake cams,Good set of Rods...you can put a nos system on also...Where is Alpine at?I helped redo a Tom Pro car recently for a guy up here...

I don't think the top end of the motor needs to come apart to do the gears right? Are the rods necessary in order to handle a NOS system? How does a stock motor hold up to an occasional use of NOS? My oil gets changed after every desert trip because we run the motors so hard, so I'm not worried about the frequent oil changes as I already do it.

GoldenChild, what did you do for the Tom Pro car?
Alpine is on the East end of San Diego. I'd like to find a motor guy in the San Diego area, just haven't been able to find one yet. We send everyone to Heads up Performance in Vegas which is about 5 hours away from here. But he'll do a dyno tune for about $250-300. I have a lot of customers in the San Diego area that I could send a Busa mechanic too.

(GoldenChild @ Dec. 25 2006,15:07) You just got a bad 2nd gear....
+1

a few guys have had 2nd gear issues and its turned out to be the tranny. Something with shift forks and dogs or something.

If a turbo isn't that good in the sand, check out supercharging it. There is a reliable kit on the market and the boost comes on much earlier and smoother than the turbo. You also might want to check into having the cylinder head ported and polished. Carillo makes the prefered rods and the stock crank is pretty stout. There are huge stroker/big bores out there for the busa mill also.

super.gif
These things KICK A$$!!!!

You could use a little love on your web site but you product speaks for its self.

post-52-02136-welcome.gif
to the .org

(heavybusa @ Dec. 26 2006,19:37)
super.gif

You could use a little love on your web site but you product speaks for its self.

to the .org
A little love on our website?? More Busa pics?
biggrin.gif

Where do I find the supercharger kit so I can read up on this? I talked to Scott at Heads up Performance today and I think I'm just going to add a nitro kit...just need to figure out which one.

(King Sand Cars @ Dec. 26 2006,22:43)
(heavybusa @ Dec. 26 2006,19:37)
super.gif

to the .org
A little love on our website?? More Busa pics?
biggrin.gif

Where do I find the supercharger kit so I can read up on this? I talked to Scott at Heads up Performance today and I think I'm just going to add a nitro kit...just need to figure out which one.
Clearer pics of whats under the hood and maybe a little flash work.

Here is the supercharger info.

tts-performance.com

SuperMontage.jpg

There's not a whole lot of information out there with the Super Chargers. I'd like to find a bolt on kit that doesn't require a bunch of tuning...something where an onboard computer is hooked up to sensors and can adjust the air/fuel ratios as needed. Having to mess with turbo's and/or a SC when they come out of tune doesn't sound appealing to me. But from talking to Head's up Performance, it sounds like even adding NOS requires a Dyno to do it right.
sad.gif

Tell Scott to send us the cylinder block and we will send him one back with 1397 pistons fitted to it.
super.gif

Jay

Back