Pepper spray or mace?

pepper spray sux...first off....if the attacker is close enough to use it?...you're already in deep shid...2ndly?...if you don't get the spray directly into their eyes right off the bat?...more than likely?..you're just gonna pi$$'em off even worse...the they'll take it from her and hose her azz down with it.

I'm old school....and of the opinion that nuth'in beats a well concealed firearm..but if ya can't have that?...i'd take a damn "Walking Stick" over freak'in pepper spray....42"s long by about 2" round...preferrably "oak"...rounded on the top with a nice 45 degree point on the bottom end...so butt-stroke, swing or jab....it'll beat hell out of pepper spray as far as a "Deterent" goes...besides...unlike pepper spray?...a stick is "visual"....and no man wants to risk gett'in beat by a woman with a stick!
laugh.gif

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

(captain @ Sep. 29 2006,09:15)
Don't get foam, it can be blocked completely if the attacker puts up his hand which is a common reaction. Liquid forms are better but like others have posted, I'm stickler for firearms. A closed fist looks so much more deadly when it's attached to the barrel of a revolver instead of a can of mace. Not to mention, it's harder to build a tolerance to bullets then it is to build one to mace.

Unless she's, or you, are against firearms I'd suggest a .380. Very compact, great stopping power, and low recoil.

I would love it if she would carry. She won't though. Unfortunatley that is why I am stuck with going the mace route... If I really thought she was in any danger... I would walk with her...
Thanks everyone for their suggestions!

And welcome to the site bigmanZ!

In Florida you have to have a concealed permit to carry mace. So you might want to check your state laws first.

I have a .38 and went to the Concealed Permit Class to get the license. Besides the MSF course, it was the best money I ever spent. It gives a great perspective on carrying a weapon and when/how/why to use it.

I also have a small can of pepper spray on my keys.

Maybe you need to get her a German Shephard. Great walking companion and will defend her to the death. We had one a few years ago, he kept 2 pitbulls off me for 2 blocks. His treat that night was a huge steak.

Or maybe get her to a self defense class. Not like karate or Judo or anything, but a real self defense class. I also went to one of those, and they show you how to disable by suprise which gives you time to run.

Note: I'm a little passionate about this topic so please no one take offense.

There is no "magic bullet". Anything you get (OC, stick, gun, hands, etc...) must be trained with to be fully effective.

I equate it to owning a motorcycle and deciding you're going to race on Sunday without ever practicing. You can have the best motorcycle in the world (or gun, or OC...) but without realistic practice it is nearly useless when the stuff hits the fan.

PDBusa scovilled the correct when he said get some inert trainers.

Bryan

(jessup @ Sep. 29 2006,09:36) Thanks for the link Nveeus I will look into it...

Diesel... No one is out to get her... She just doesn't like walking in the dark with out some type of protection. If I gave her my pistol she would probably clear the neighborhood of other walkers accidentally.
I wasn't talking about anyone in particular. I just see crazy things on the news everytime I turn it on. Think about it. Pepper spray is BS. By the time you get scared enough to pull that crap out, make sure you're pointing it the right way, and hope you hit anything with it while you're shaking like a leaf.....she's already in trouble. She pulls out some Clint Eastwood looking **** and someone might seriously think about doing anything to her. I don't know where you live, but I make my wife go to a gym . She would probably kick 99% of the guys asses out there anyway.
muscle.gif

(impactks @ Oct. 02 2006,13:27) Note: I'm a little passionate about this topic so please no one take offense.

There is no "magic bullet". Anything you get (OC, stick, gun, hands, etc...) must be trained with to be fully effective.

I equate it to owning a motorcycle and deciding you're going to race on Sunday without ever practicing. You can have the best motorcycle in the world (or gun, or OC...) but without realistic practice it is nearly useless when the stuff hits the fan.

Bryan
Couldn't agree more.

I would tell her to walk at a different time when more people are around. It sounds like at the time she is walking, she might just be inviting trouble. It is kinda like going for a swim in the ocean around dusk or dawn when sharks are known to be feeding.

Maybe if she has to walk at dark, she could get some other people to be with her.

(jessup @ Oct. 02 2006,04:51) I would love it if she would carry.  She won't though.  Unfortunatley that is why I am stuck with going the mace route...    If I really thought she was in any danger... I would walk with her...
Thanks everyone for their suggestions!  

And welcome to the site bigmanZ!
Thanks! Though I don't have my 'busa yet
sad.gif
another 3 months before I have the funds to put a decent down payment on one.

Back