PC3 software and *nix

V8N3T

More mods plz..
Donating Member
Registered
Hi all, I was just wondering as I have looked into this for myself and no one seems to have a positive answer. I run FC5, its a Unix based OS. If you don't know what FC5 is, you can stop reading here.
tounge.gif
Now Ive looked into PowerCommander's software.....and I think I may be able to get it to work. But I may have some problems running a few buttons in the GUI. If the GUI gives me any problems, ill gut the software and implement my own buttons that work. Now my only concern is the software still loading the proper map, and having it function properly. I don't need their software telling me "Its loaded and 100% Complete!" when in fact its just a glitch, and still loading the standard map or no map at all!

I am just wondering if any1 that runs Unix/Linux has used Powercommanders software and works perfectly. I run FC5 for 24/7 use and do anything and everything in it. I don't run windows for the fact that I do everything in Unix/Linux and I refuse to be stuffed in the @$$ by Micro$oft and forced to run THEIR application specific software.

I don't have a PC3 but have you tried WINE? Or even Cedega?

I am thinking those may be your best bet. I try to shy away from Cedega but the WINE core should support Win98 apps and it looks like PC3 software is useable on Win98.

Ok, now you have me curious. Where can I get the software?

Ive already looked into the other software programs that run for you in Virtural or Active X controls and configs. I would be using Wine more than likely. I use it for alot of things, but im not worried about not getting it to load up or be able to view it. I am worried about the software doing what you click on it to do. Like I click load map, and it just fudge my map and load no map or a completly different map or something even worse. Ill just end up making it work my own way, I can make anything in *nix work
firedevil.gif

VMware Server is free and runs on *nix hosts. You could set up a VM on that. But you would need the Windows software to create it.

Oh and if you like FC, you should check into Ubuntu or Kubuntu. Much simpler package management and very very accurate. It will resolve all dependancies within the package manager.

We're using it for production everything. I don't think I'm ever going back to FC... but I will have to run some RHEL servers and clusters for specific apps.

Yeah I used FC for a bit but I always go back to Gentoo. I like the packaging system in that. I keep telling myself I am going to try Ubuntu but never actually get around to it;)

I hate changing things that work;) LOL

i have all 3 installed, I just use FC for my "Desktop" enviorment. I mentioned FC5 because thats what i run all the time. But I have Ubuntu and Gentoo. Ive used Debian, just not recently. Ive used every flavor, and you know how it is....everyone uses something. Just which flavor of the candy do you like?
beerchug.gif

Once you get the software running it should be more or less the same. I'm not sure how the nix/windows software specifically interfaces with the hardware (this is where any issues would most likely be coming from), but the code being run is the same minus system calls, which wine should be taking care of?

It would be pretty easy to test it in real world.... try loading a map that runs super rich and see if your bike starts smoking. No dammage except maybe a bit of premature fouling of your plugs, and your questions are answered.

one of the guys at work used to work for DynoJet....he may still have connections there

Back