PC RAM Question

bigoltool

Registered
I want to add some RAM to my PC so my wifes video editing software and other stuff doesn't keep bringing it to its knees! My question is what type of RAM to buy. Right now it has 512MB (2x256 with 2 available slots)of PC3200 DDR SDRAM and I found what I think is a pretty good deal on some Kingston Hyper X RAM but I am not sure what I need. Single channel or Dual Channel? Will the Hyper X Ram cause any conflict with my existing Ram, motherboard etc. Every web site I visit has a "configurator" which tells me my PC has/needs something different? I know enough about hardware to be dangerous! Any tips?
wink.gif

What is the make and model PC and how much ram do you have. You might also look at the bios setup and see what speed the ram is running at.

what type of pc to you have ...or is it scratch built? just need more info to help... im thinking you need ddr ram but not sure ....either way buying faster ram and using it with the old ram will make all ram run at the speed of the slowest stick.

goto crucial.com and type in your motherboard type. answers all yoru questions. if you buy ram FASTER than your board can use, it will step the speed down, but be a waste of money

(Professor @ Apr. 14 2007,10:25) What is the make and model PC and how much ram do you have. You might also look at the bios setup and see what speed the ram is running at.
It is an HP Media center M390N I went into my Bios and it lists 2 banks (bank 0 and 2 utilized, 3 and 4 Available) of 256mb DDR SDRAM (total 512mb). PC3200. Not sure of which motherboard it is running. BIOS version 3.14?

(WWJD @ Apr. 14 2007,10:31) goto crucial.com and type in your motherboard type. answers all yoru questions. if you buy ram FASTER than your board can use, it will step the speed down, but be a waste of money
Thanks WWJD I went and tried their System Scanner and it confirmed my thoughts. Was surprised to find that as long as they are pairs it was irrelevant what size of modules you added to the empty banks.

Here is a link to Newegg.com, one of the two best websites to buy computer parts from. Two gig starts at $130 and goes up if you need the absolute best, which you don't unless you are running the most bleeding-edge software on the planet.

http://www.newegg.com/Product....r=PRICE

Do you have video card? If video is integrated into motherboard, buying separate vid card would be huge improvement also.

er... keep in mind Windows XP can only handle 3 - 3.5 GIG RAM tops depending on motherboard and wind direction. I'm sure VISTA fixes that issue

(techy @ Apr. 14 2007,19:47) Do you have video card? If video is integrated into motherboard, buying separate vid card would be huge improvement also.
Nvidia GeForce FX 5600 Ultra with 128MB memory, 8X AGP, with S-Video and DVI out

Back