PayPal experts I have a few questions for you...

Nooooooooo! With DEBIT, money is taken out of your account right that instant.....poof! If issues come up with the deal, seller already has your money...an uphill battle for you at the get go.

With a CC, you can dispute charges if the seller craps on you (broken item, not as advertised, etc.). Since the CC company is NOT getting their money from you, they will flex their ginormous muscle to hunt down the seller.

PayPal CANNOT (and WILL NOT) do this on your behalf....they are merely middlemen in the transaction who have already collected their cut.

:werd:

In light of all this...I'm just going to use PP for minor things here on the org. or w/ one of our trusted sponsors.

Thanks for your help kromdom

Nooooooooo! With DEBIT, money is taken out of your account right that instant.....poof! If issues come up with the deal, seller already has your money...an uphill battle for you at the get go.

With a CC, you can dispute charges if the seller craps on you (broken item, not as advertised, etc.). Since the CC company is NOT getting their money from you, they will flex their ginormous muscle to hunt down the seller.

PayPal CANNOT (and WILL NOT) do this on your behalf....they are merely middlemen in the transaction who have already collected their cut.

Not entirely true - most banks will cover you on fraudulent transactions with a debit card just the same as a credit card. You can find that info with your banks disclosure info they give you with the debit card (must be Visa/MC branded) regarding what course of actions are available to you as a holder of their card. Just because the money came from your account doesn't mean the bank won't do a chargeback on your behalf and restore the money to your account. It's up to the other party to prove they sold you items in good faith, as described and delivered them. If they can't prove it the chargeback is completed and they're out the money, not you.

Both my wife and I have used our banks (2 different banks) chargeback process with debit cards and received a full refund. You've got to be an informed consumer these days with all the lowlife sales people out there looking to make a quick buck. If you don't have the original paperwork that came with your debit card just call your bank, they'll send you a copy of the info again.

jdsbusa,
Good info, man! Thanks, did not know that.

IMHO, boils down to preference on how I want to protect myself from scumbags. With debit (albeit there are safety measures as you pointed out), I have relinquished control/possession of money to the seller. I now have to go after/recoup/recover that.

Using a CC for PP allows me to retain leverage or fighting chance since not a penny has left my wallet yet.

Back