Painting a Muzzy can.....

Big Tuna

Donating Member
Registered
I am wanting to paint the can a Gloss black and midpipe a matte black. I bought the Duplicolor 1200 degree Matte Black for the midpipe....but can not find a Gloss Black in the 1200.....I did see the Gloss Black engine paint...good upto 500 degrees. Just how hot does the can get? You reckon that I'll be ok with the 500 degree engine paint?

I would think 500 would be enough. Not positive but your engine only gets about 200 something.
rock.gif

i had painted my mids with 500deg motor paint and had no problems

I used everyday paint on my mids with no problems.

Your avitar is freaking me out.
wow.gif

500 degree paint is fine on the stock cans. I don't know if the Muzzy cans get hotter on the surface than the stock cans, but I think you'll be OK.

The pipes don't get hotter than the engine, so yeah, engine paint will be good
tounge.gif

Pics when finished.

(heavybusa @ Oct. 20 2006,04:06) I used everyday paint on my mids with no problems.

Your avitar is freaking me out.  
wow.gif
LOL, I sat for 30 seconds staring at it before I started to read th epost.

I Ended up using the Duplicolor 500 degree low gloss black on the mid pipe and the Duplicolor Gloss Black on the canister. I had to redo the canister because the paint ended up bubbling under the hanger clamp.

I had thought that I would just paint it, wait 24 hrs to dry ...assemble and actually let the engine do the curing.....worked great on the mid pipe, but horrible on the can. Was glossy at the entrance of the can but was faded at the exhaust of the can.

Ended up sanding it down...repainted and sticking the canister in the oven. I also painted the frame sliders and levers low gloss black , stuck them in the oven for 30 minutes @ 200 degrees....I am happy with the outcome ! I know the levers will end up rubbing off, but really wanted to see the color change.......

Didnt have a pic, just a video for the before shot....The video is like an old Karate movie...lol

DSCN0030.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
nice work on that muzzy can! does the paint cure better in the oven as opposed to letting it air dry? i am trying to figure out the benefit of this.
beerchug.gif

(BABYBUSA01 @ Oct. 23 2006,06:14) nice work on that muzzy can! does the paint cure better in the oven as opposed to letting it air dry? i am trying to figure out the benefit of this.
beerchug.gif
I let it air dry for 45 minutes and the stick it in the oven. The oven actually causes the paint to "flow" together....alot slicker look.

I started off just air drying it and then installing it...rode around to cure it....it worked for the mid pipe but looked awful on the can.the front of the can flowed correctly back to the hanger...from the hanger back looked horrible, plus the paint under the hanger bubbled ...... I went with the engine enamel because it smooths out the paint with heat....Use the oven! I know the link below is for VHT instead of Duplicolor, but thats how I did it.

http://72.10.43.141/engineenamels.htm

(carolinadoublej @ Oct. 23 2006,13:21)
(BABYBUSA01 @ Oct. 23 2006,06:14) nice work on that muzzy can!  does the paint cure better in the oven as opposed to letting it air dry?  i am trying to figure out the benefit of this.  
beerchug.gif
I let it air dry for 45 minutes and the stick it in the oven. The oven actually causes the paint to "flow" together....alot slicker look.

I started off just air drying it and then installing it...rode around to cure it....it worked for the mid pipe but looked awful on the can.the front of the can flowed correctly back to the hanger...from the hanger back looked horrible, plus the paint under the hanger bubbled  ...... I went with the engine enamel because it smooths out the paint with heat....Use the oven!   I know the link below is for VHT instead of Duplicolor, but thats how I did it.

http://72.10.43.141/engineenamels.htm
great info. thanks!

Back