painted panels

for the do it yourselfers remember primer in the can is JUNK
your going get what you pay for in that area, if theres something that will bite you in the butt its the primer. if you want to do it yourself go to a bodyshop buy a quart of plastic primer with flex and a pint of hardner a pint of reducer, a cheap spray gun and you can prime yourself. dont shoot it thick, build it up in small layers. let each dry then sand, dry sand first with 220 then up according to how many times you shoot. the first two sandings are not really sandings just scuffing it up to hold more primer. dont sand threw to the black.
im not saying nothing bad about anyones work, just telling you how it should be done for long term without problems. without the flex added, sooner or later there going crack from the bikes movements. like ksana stated they were not meant to be painted,the only saving grace is the flex. i am all for do it yourselfers and ill give all the info i can to help.
So all you have to do is put alot on primer on? I was going to sand down the panels with like 400 but i think ill just primer them a few times. I work at a body shop so we should have flex primer. I know we have flexable sealer but i think thats to thin, it will take for ever. The only thing that makes it flexable is the reducer right?

Thanks
beerchug.gif

Alex

From when and where I got mine, I'm under the impression I got REAL LUCKY...those blue orange-peel shots were horrible.  No disrespect, I would have been bummed too....

On mine, the kid (William @ Raceready) hit it "perfect", I mean PERFECT.  Actually, the Bagster tank protector doesn't line up as well as these did right out of te box on the stock tank paint.  The stripes and colors are DEAD-ON..

DSC00280__Large_.JPG

Alex that is the easiest way.
the best way is for the first coat of primer use the same primer you would paint rubber bumpers with, it has all the flex and goodies in it. you will have access to this.
then dry sand 220, very very lite. dont sand into the black.
then since your at the shop get your normal primer
spray the panels, wait a little bit till they are close to dry, spray again
wait till they are close to dry, spray again. let them dry, water sand with 400
the 800 and they are ready. when you are spraying the three coats of primer you do not need to sand as long as you get it right before its dry.

spudley those panels look real good.

Alex that is the easiest way.
the best way is for the first coat of primer use the same primer you would paint rubber bumpers with, it has all the flex and goodies in it. you will have access to this.
then dry sand 220, very very lite. dont sand into the black.
then since your at the shop get your normal primer
spray the panels, wait a little bit till they are close to dry, spray again
wait till they are close to dry, spray again. let them dry, water sand with 400
the 800 and they are ready. when you are spraying the three coats of primer you do not need to sand as long as you get it right before its dry.

spudley those panels look real good.

Thanks Joseph, nothing but plexus, and an old worn out t-shirt keeps them looking like new.  Same with rest of paint, although tiny road chips are starting to pepper the lower below the radiator screens.  Not a scratch on the inners, as of yet, and I'm a daily driver...... I'm actually sorry to hear William's quality has been slipping.  May have hired some help, and they're the one's screwing things up...  Dunno...
dunno.gif

PS...when the Bagster isn't on the bike, it's like Zuke delivered it that way....looks awesome, must take pics....

"I'm actually sorry to hear William's quality has been slipping"

Actually, William is still doing a great job. It just seems a few people have had a bad experience with him. As I said earlier, he did mine & a few other riding buddies & none of us have had any problems. He got it right the first time around...

This thread is still here ?....I digress. Whatever was spread around here about William's quality issues, it's simply NOT true. I've had the original set redone after the go-down. They came back immaculate. I have since had a whole new set done by him, and once again, they're beautiful, absolutely perfect. I did read something someone said about dust in the clearcoat, and that has never ever been an issue. William is extremely attentive to detail, and goes the extra mile. He's meticulous.

He's still in business by the way. His business isn't Raceready.us anymore though, it's Raceready.org.

When the Gen III arrives, and I have one, William will get the nod. This guy really is the real deal. Anyone who says different hasn't truly seen his work.

Spud.

For the DIY'ers. It can be done. You have to spend some serious time on it though. Like when I built the motor back to original specs. If it looks like too much work, call Raceready. If you want the motor redone correctly, hit me up, I can help point you to all the right people.

Back