Paint match for 04 le

daiddu

Registered
Tipped my bike a few months back and I have been working with a local guy to help repaint. He has had a tough time getting the YU7 code to match the rest of my bike.

A couple of questions...

- Is he a newb and should not be having such a hard time?
- Did the paint shop screw up the paint code? they first gave us one recipe, then went across town and got the "foreign" version of the YU7...

It started out a pinkish purple color (kind of fuschia base coat), now it seems to be the right red, but has no flake in it.

It also has some FLA (fat ladies azz) or orange peel. He said maybe some wet sanding and another clear coat would fix that up. not too sure about that...

This is my first redo, but I have never seen this much aggravation on trying to match a fender for a car... thanks,

Why not just buy a new panel? Since the LE is a single color the price isn't that bad and you'll have just as much invested in a repaint that will never look right no matter how good it's done.

You'll never match the 04' red, my paint guy laughed at me... Paint the whole bike or buy a panel...

I had 3 paint shops try to match the paint, and not one could get it wright. So my undertail got painted black!!!
DNGrumpy's Mototech's undertail doesn't quite match either, it real close though!
rock.gif
rock.gif

rock.gif

I had 3 paint shops try to match the paint, and not one could get it wright. So my undertail got painted black!!!
DNGrumpy's Mototech's undertail doesn't quite match either, it real close though!
rock.gif
rock.gif

OPPS HIT THE POST BUTTON TOO MANY TIMES

<!--EDIT|GIXERHP
Reason for Edit: None given...|1146444966 -->

rock.gif

I had an 04 Le. The paint is a 3 step process. Color-Rite has all three parts and directions on how to make it look right.

Don

Why not just buy a new panel?  Since the LE is a single color the price isn't that bad and you'll have just as much invested in a repaint that will never look right no matter how good it's done.
This is so true, take it from someone who's gone the paint route. My painter is one of the best around this area, it's good from a distance but not a perfect match up close=Tank and Nose. Tail, side panels, front fender are stock OEM YU7 Crystal Red. It's a 05, wanted an all red busa and no 04 LE around at time of purchase.

pop_rivet_009.jpg

wow, fast responses... thanks all.

I did a little research on the parts thing and it looked like around 800 bucks to buy all new. The paint shop in town sold me the base, mid, clear, reducers, etc for about 250. A guy in town that paints some said he would do it for 300, but then charged me 200 when it didn't really come out right.

He has redone it twice now with the paint shop coughing up free paint. Everyone is at the end of the rope now though. I should have maybe gone the 800 bucks in the first place...

I thought that you see cars around all the time where they match the paint, how hard can it be??? pretty hard I guess
smile.gif
Oh well, learned something.

thanks for all the feedback again. really appreciate it.

Back