Ouch, dropped my bike

txbikerdude

Donating Member
Registered
Well, as you all know I have my bike torn down making some mods. I have the wheels pulled off, and the bike up on the suzuki front and rear lifts. My wife was outside helping me remove the stock dogbones and installing my new lowering kit. We get the new dogbones on and she asks me to lift the rear of the bike up a little so she can push one of the bolts all the way through. Just as I lift the frame a little she pushes the bolt, and the rear lift completly slides out from under the bike and WHAM!! the rear of the bike falls to the ground. As its falling I shove myself inbetween the bike and my wife so she wont get hurt. It rips off two of my fingernails and I have a 4" cut down the inside of my leg. When I see that my wife is okay i run in the house and wash all the blood off my hand, gauz it up and go back in the garage - gotta get the bike back up.. I put on my mechanics gloves, grab hold of the rear frame and lift so my wife can position the left back under the rear spools and get it back up. Well its all back and not one scratch so far on my bike. I am suprised, I am thinking that the lift slid under the bike so the bike frame landed on the lift and not concrete. I am sore as hell now so I am taking the rest of the day off.. :)

When I start getting all my parts in I am thinking of flying my buddy Spitz in to help, and getiting some help from my local .org friends too. Whatta day.

But in the end, the rear is lowered 2 inches, and the bolts are loctighted in and secure.. :)

WOW

That just sounds like one of those things that could happen to anyone, Doesnt really sound like you did anything wrong, Just some bad luck at the time.

Glad the wife is ok and sounds like you will live ( Just a little sore for a couple days )

Also glad the bikes ok, Sounds like it could have been a lot worse. A little good luk there.

1) Glad your wife is ok. You would realy feel bad if she got hurt working on your bike. (good on her for helping too :thumbsup: )

2) Glad your bike is ok

3) Aw come on you will heal. :laugh: :beerchug: Just a little love bite from the 'Busa

Last edited:
wow that is scary stuff.... glad the Mrs is ok.. make sure you are too..

Glad the wife and the bike are okay. Hope you heal up quick.

What about using heavy duty zip ties to secure the rear stand to the swing arm to prevent it from sliding next time? Glad you both are ok and no damages were done to the busa.

What about using heavy duty zip ties to secure the rear stand to the swing arm to prevent it from sliding next time? Glad you both are ok and no damages were done to the busa.

Good idea, I have some of those in my tool chest, think I will do that tonight...

:thumbsup: Wow, ya never realize the simple things can be the best fix. Great idea

Glad that it did not turn out to be nasty .

Great that you saved your wife :bowdown:, wonder how many would have saved the bike first :laugh:

I don't know if this will help but the following 3 pics show methods to securely hoist your bike. This first one, I think, is a must for dogbone r&r....a 5/8" solid steel rod captured on the jackstands (through the open swingarm axle). Raydog

P1000280.jpg

ceiling tackle that hooks onto both top tubes of rear subframe (seat must be off)

P1000931.JPG

this shot is using tackle....not the steel rod, for serious dissasembly. Lick your wounds and good luck to you! Raydog

P1010088.JPG

That's a damned ugly story, but it sounds like you will be all right in the end.

Torn off fingernails, eh? Completely? Ouch barely scratches that one!

Sorry for the event, bro.

Glad it all worked out OK.
I have done a couple of those "fingernail mods" myself.
They really hurt.
Sympathy.

Ouch, and double OUCH! Thumbs up for protecting your wife, glad it didn't damage the bike. As for the fingernails, I cringe to even think about it, been there, done that, it sucks!

Back