Opinion on frame damage - Fixable?

Was riding to work on a beautiful Monday morning. About 15 minutes in I hit a pothole, wasn’t really avoidable either. I just want to know if this is weldable or will I be risking the same situation again, I have a friend that’s amazing at welding.

5A6A673B-8E5B-4BA5-8555-BFFE1743B1C5.jpeg

28662ADC-591D-49BC-867B-1C41727A1B25.jpeg

The porosity of the aluminum is my only concern in welding this back together. It boils down to how he plans to weld it and can he weld aluminum correctly to make it strong. This from my welding experience will not be a quick weld job and you would still be consern about cracking around the weld. I would strip the bike motor and all so he could get to every aspect of the piece and put good weld in there because a butt weld is not gonna be strong enough

To properly weld it would have to be torn down completely as said above and I would never feel confident in the weld. The cost of welding (if paying a professional) would probably be real close in price to the cost of a frame and it already having to be torn down anyway I would just replace the frame. Just my opinion FWIW

Welcome to the forum. I’ll just leave this link to another thread with same problem here:

I would personally not want to spend the money on a repair that I would never feel 100% confident about. The time/effort and not to mention money involved, I would replace the frame.

Reactions: c10
I am not an aluminum welder of any sort but I would not weld that up
That said perhaps your friend is a very experienced one
if he is go with his recommendation If not new frame

I wouldn’t want to do all the work of stripping and rebuilding on a replacement frame. I’d buy a replacement Busa and keep or sell that one as a parts bike.

How about taking the other route and fabricating a steel plate with a mount welded to it(strong) and then bolting the plate/mount to the frame.... more than one way to skin a cat!
Quicker, no need to strip the frame down, and cheaper option with great strength!
u think the threads would hold? I would have vivid daydreams of the torque and angular forces ripping the threads right out.

u think the threads would hold? I would have vivid daydreams of the torque and angular forces ripping the threads right out.
There is an engineering solution for anything with dynamic forces pushing and pulling...
In this case the plate that bolts to the frame would have 6mm dowel pins through it and fitted into holes drilled into the alloy of the frame for strength, then loctited bolts clamping the plate to the frame.
I have seen this OEM design on GSXR race bike chassis rear shock upper mounts so it is already in use and safe design.

Back