OK, how is this for a strange news blurb...

FloydV

Donating Member
Registered
"Victim critical, Ape shot dead!"

This is from CNN today. It turns out that a 100 pound chimp attacked a person unnamed and the person is in critical condition. The chimp went ape (had to say it), and mauled someone to near death.

Now here is where it gets funny. An officer armed with a 9mm pistol shot the chimp several times. The chimp who liked to go for car rides, opened the door to a car (with keys according to CNN), and would have driven away (I suppose) had our brave officer not shot it several times. That didn't stop the chimp. It exited the vehicle and covered some distance where it was found dead.

I guess the moral is: don't leave the keys in your Busa, and if you do, don't fight over them! That, and if several 9mm slugs won't drop a 100 pound chimp, what effect would it have on a 200 pound human.

Monkeys of any kind are Nasty, Slugs ! When I was in Africa they use get in Coconut Trees and throw them at us. Along with daily tossing them on the roof of my Office. Me, I would pick up a coconut and throw it back at'em. And Baboons, these critters will attack and KILL you. They are very vicious. I have NO use for any of these :firing: beast. Although the Nigerians had a great idea :idea:. They would order Best Boy meat from our Food Division. So what is Best Boy ??? ? IT'S MONKEY !!!! :thumbsup: That'll teach'em :laugh:

Okay. One of my coworkers is from Connecticut and lives about 2 miles from where the incident took place. She knows the EMT that was on scene and the ER nurse that treated the victimes (not the ape).

i passed on a story a while back about a chimp that was shot by cops.
the cops actually ordered the chimp 2-3x to stop:rofl:

here it is
AUSTIN (AP) - A 140-pound chimpanzee escaped from a research center by jumping more than 15 feet, snatched a tranquilizer dart gun from an animal worker and threatened police by flailing its arms before an officer shot and killed the animal last month, according to a new report.

Officials said the University of Texas police officer who shot Tony shouted he was going to shoot before firing at the 17-year-old chimpanzee.

Tony's escape and death were detailed in an internal report obtained by the Austin American-Statesman through an open-records request.

The chimpanzee escaped March 12 from his area at the Keeling Center for Comparative Medicine and Research in Bastrop. The center is managed by the University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center.

Tony's escape was one of three at the center since November. Another 17-year-old chimp, Jake, got out of his enclosure in November and again this week but was quickly recaptured each time.

Tony got out by bounding 15 feet from a jungle gym and grabbing the top of a corral wall, according to the report. Tranquilizer darts failed to stop him.

According to the report, the police officer, who was not named, saw Tony jump into a truck bed and lunge at an attendant.

"The chimpanzee took the attendant's dart gun away from him and discarded it," the report said.

The chimp either fell off the truck or jumped from it when the truck sped up, according to the report. The officer said Tony started coming toward him.

"The chimpanzee started flailing its arms. The officer shouted at least twice that he was going to shoot,"??? the report said. "In fear for his safety, the officer then fired several times, striking the chimpanzee."

The officer fell backward while firing his gun, but the chimpanzee kept coming toward him, the report said. The officer didn't know how many times he fired at the animal, according to the report, "because the threat was still coming at him."

The officer has since returned to duty, said Wendy Gottsegen, a spokeswoman for M.D. Anderson.

The center said it would tighten security.

Last edited:
Pretty strange report, yes? After I posted the original, the ape had grown from 100 to 200 pounds. Everyone agrees that the officer fired at the chimp (of indeterminate size), but no one can actually say how many times he hit it. It was good for a chuckle, I thought.

The member who posted about eating monkey meat, put a smile on my face for the rest of the day :rofl:

Back