Oil Pressure Regulator / Valve

mike1180

Banned
Anyone use one of these?

http://secure.mycart.net/catalog....vnext=1

Anyone know how they work?
Seems like a good thing to have, as extra oil pressure would be good.... no?
rock.gif

I use similar devices in all the H-D motors that I build. I would definitely pay attention to the advice about using a high volume pump gear. I noticed in your signature that you already have a high volume oil pump gear, so this would be a smart addition to your motor.

On all the built (H-D, and clone) motors I have done, I use either Baisley gears, Feuling cam support plates, in conjunction with either a Zipper's, or S&S breather gear. Regardless of what kind of motor, a bypass modification is almost always beneficial. For a stocker, I'd leave it alone until you need to actually get into the motor to do such a modification.

I use similar devices in all the H-D motors that I build. I would definitely pay attention to the advice about using a high volume pump gear. I noticed in your signature that you already have a high volume oil pump gear, so this would be a smart addition to your motor.

On all the built (H-D, and clone) motors I have done, I use either Baisley gears, Feuling cam support plates, in conjunction with either a Zipper's, or S&S breather gear. Regardless of what kind of motor, a bypass modification is almost always beneficial. For a stocker, I'd leave it alone until you need to actually get into the motor to do such a modification.
Thanks for the info. It is a simple install when the oil pan is off.
It doesn't do any bypass function, but just increases the pressure.
Not sure how, but it seemed like a good idea.
Thanks again!

I would question the value of the thing on anything stock or near stock.. I would probably not install in on any motor I had not suffered some type of oil film failure (hammered bearings)

Big bore, high compression, big hp engines likely have a need but I would think these would be pretty much "race only" motors due to costs of running them..

I would question the value of the thing on anything stock or near stock..  I would probably not install in on any motor I had not suffered some type of oil film failure (hammered bearings)

Big bore, high compression, big hp engines likely have a need but I would think these would be pretty much "race only" motors due to costs of running them..
Thanks for the info.
Do you think it would hurt anything to put it on?

"Do you think it would hurt anything to put it on?"

Absolutely not. You already have the oil pump drive gear, so it will be a good idea to add it. It's a VERY smart modification.

I do know that you only have to yank the oil pan to install it. I'd still hold off, and add it when your pan gasket goes south, or if you want to add a better oil pickup. The time you will spend installing it is valuable riding time. Do it in the off season.

This part will modify your bypass pressure (as per previous post). That is one of the simplest ways of safely boosting your pressure, as opposed to a pressure It should work like a charm.

I don't plan on doing much to my '08, but I will definitely upgrade my pump gear and pressure regulator in the near future.

Have fun!

"Do you think it would hurt anything to put it on?"

Absolutely not. You already have the oil pump drive gear, so it will be a good idea to add it. It's a VERY smart modification.

I do know that you only have to yank the oil pan to install it. I'd still hold off, and add it when your pan gasket goes south, or if you want to add a better oil pickup. The time you will spend installing it is valuable riding time. Do it in the off season.

This part will modify your bypass pressure (as per previous post). That is one of the simplest ways of safely boosting your pressure, as opposed to a pressure It should work like a charm.

I don't plan on doing much to my '08, but I will definitely upgrade my pump gear and pressure regulator in the near future.

Have fun!
It was something I was going to do in the off season.
It sounds like it makes sense, so I'll do it.
Thanks!

Mike A

I would question the value of the thing on anything stock or near stock.. I would probably not install in on any motor I had not suffered some type of oil film failure (hammered bearings)

Thanks for the info.
Do you think it would hurt anything to put it on?
most likely not... but it will draw power from the motor (take power to pump oil, more oil or pressure? more power) on "bearing inserts" excessive oil pressure can "wash" the bearing and kill it (removes babbit).. never heard of this on bike motors however..

I just doubt you really need to supplement the oil system on a basically stock bike.. I would put the money into something more useful myself.. Just my opinion..

I would ask a disinterested engine builder... (one not selling you parts or wanting to) Now if there were reports of bearing failures on these bikes, I might be more interested.... this is one of those "if it aint broke, dont fix it" things IMO...

My concern is that when I measure the oil pressure as described in the manual, even with the high volume oil pump gear, it is at the very bottom of the normal range (28 psi at 3000 rpm).
The range is 28 to 71 psi at that rpm, and I don't know why mine is at the bottom of the range.
It seems to be a very large range to sit near the bottom?
Thoughts?

volume and pressure are two completely different issues...

Volume will be required as a motor loosens up.. IE bigger clearances, require more oil..
Pressure on the other hand is required to maintain "oil film".. as horsepower (loads) go up, it "might" require more pressure to maintain sufficient oil film..

an aftermarket regulator is not going to affect pressure at low RPMs in 99% of cases (the 1% is fouled OE regulator)

If pressure is low at idle, it could be engine clearances etc that are opening up.. what really matters is pressure off idle.. (a motor can live a long time with 7-10 psi at idle and no load)

A few questions come up... does oil pressure go up with oil change? does pressure go up if you put straight 40wt oil in?

Again you need a "busa motor" builder to help you out on specifics.. but IMO if the issue is low pressure at idle, you are really wasting your money... there is a root cause that needs fixed if it is in fact a real problem..

The pressure does not go up with an oil change and I have tried a couple of different oils.
Also a couple of different filters.
I have not tried straight 40W but the pressure was the same with the other brands of 10W40.
The pressure is not out of range from the specs it is just at the bottom of the specs (28psi @ 3000 rpm).
It runs great, but I just don't want to leave it if there is a quick fix to bring the pressure up a bit.
The high volume oil gear did not do anything for the pressure.
Thanks!

"Again you need a "busa motor" builder to help you out on specifics.."

Oiling systems may vary, but the principals are the same.

Low pressure at idle may be due to the high volume pump gear. A higher volume will pay off at higher RPMs.

The pressure does not go up with an oil change and I have tried a couple of different oils.
Also a couple of different filters.
I have not tried straight 40W but the pressure was the same with the other brands of 10W40.
The pressure is not out of range from the specs it is just at the bottom of the specs (28psi @ 3000 rpm).
It runs great, but I just don't want to leave it if there is a quick fix to bring the pressure up a bit.
The high volume oil gear did not do anything for the pressure.
Thanks!
does not sound like a big deal to me, check with GoldenChild on acceptable oil pressure at idle..

Oil viscosity has everything to do with oil pressure and so if you changed out 10-40 and replaced it with the same, it should in theory not change pressures unless the old oil was broken down with age or contaminates..

On high volume pumps... MOST of the ones I have seen simply use a taller gear sets or larger vane areas (more pumping area) and can cause "over pressure" conditions if not used with a "relief" valve capable of dealing with larger amounts of oil needing "bled off" again this is just a "general" rule of engines and "could" be different on the busa motor. In short, they can/should raise idle oil pressure at lower rpm's (not a function of the relief valve if it is working correctly in the first place as it should be slammed shut at idle anyway)

The relief valve is likely set at the 28 psi you are seeing or it could be leaking a bit.. but as a rule, they are completely shut at idle anyway..

could any of u guys tell me why i have too much oil pressure that it keeps blowing the oil filter gasket rite off

could any of u guys tell me why i have too much oil pressure that it keeps blowing the oil filter gasket rite off

Do you have a Billet Oil pressure Regulator and a overdrive oil pump gear? I run that combo on my Busa. During cold start up my oil pressure is 120 psi at idle. If you rev it when it is cold the pressure spikes at 160psi and blows out the oil filter o-rings. Once it warms up the pressure drops to 45 psi at idle and 100 psi at 10,000 rpm.

I would put an oil pressure gauge on it as described in the manual and see what it is reading.
What weight of oil are you using and how cold is it outside when you start it?

I run the High Pressure relief valve and High Volume oil pump gear on my 08, with no problems. I also use the Micronic oil filter with the set up. I would recommend installing a windage tray on there also while you have the oil pan off. They're only about $30 and it helps keep the oil from sloshing around.

My concern is that when I measure the oil pressure as described in the manual, even with the high volume oil pump gear, it is at the very bottom of the normal range (28 psi at 3000 rpm).
The range is 28 to 71 psi at that rpm, and I don't know why mine is at the bottom of the range.
It seems to be a very large range to sit near the bottom?
Thoughts?

Mike, just fill that puppy up with 90w, the pressure will come up! :thumbsup:

:poke:

i dont no i bought it it i drove it up and down my street a few times then i went to start it the other day and it shot out the oil (blew the oil filter gasket ) and did it again is there some kind of regulater or something that could be f-ed its in the shop and the guys going to tare it apart monday but if ne one nos wtf is wrong with it i want to save me some $$

Back