Oil Pressure Problem

fattonyshabaz

Registered
Once my busa is warmed up the oil light was coming on at an idle. I put a gauge on it and had next to nothing for oil pressure. The bike is full on oil does not burn oil so I changed the oil pump. Still same problem!!! As soon as the oil gets warm I have almost no pressure at an idle. Please help as I do not want to cause a problem or even blow my engine!! When cold or revved anything over an idle seems to have lots of pressure though.

Last edited:
Once my busa is warmed up the oil light was coming on at an idle. I put a gauge on it and had next to nothing for oil pressure. The bike is full on oil does not burn oil so I changed the oil pump. Still same problem!!! As soon as the oil gets warm I have almost no pressure at an idle. Please help as I do not want to cause a problem or even blow my engine!! When cold or revved anything over an idle seems to have lots of pressure though.

What year and how many miles...might have some worn bearings :banghead:

Does anyone know what oil pressure you're supposed to have at an idle? All the specs I can find are at 3000RPM? I have between 8-10PSI at idle.

Does anyone know what oil pressure you're supposed to have at an idle? All the specs I can find are at 3000RPM? I have between 8-10PSI at idle.
They run pretty low oil pressure at idle from what I remember. Be sure you don't have a faulty oil pressure sending unit.

I have a '00 busa with 36000 miles, and it has the exact same problem. As soon as the oil gets warmer, at idle speed the oil LED starts to blink, accelerating a bit solves the issue. But after riding for a while in traffic (and the oil gets extra hot, and extra thin), i have to accelerate to 2000rpm to kill the oil light... :S . My idle os set to 1150 ~1200, the specification for my model is 1150 -+ 100 (EU).

I was using 10W40 oil, but yesterday changed the oil to 15W50, in order to improve this situation. i haven't fully tested it yet (to do so i need to ride in traffic for a while), but when arrived to work today the oil light was blinking just a bit :mad: (with the other oil blinked a lot more).

Conclusion, for now the situation has improved, but i think the problem isn't solved...

Can you tell me how you solved your problem?
I also put a a gauge on it, at idle, i am getting almost no pressure, but at the rpm's specified int the users manual, the pressure is ok.

...might have some worn bearings

Sorry for my ignorance, but which bearings are you referring to?

Last edited:
This article offers some info about Oil Pressure Problems:
Troubleshoot Low Oil Pressure

"Resistance is created by the orifices in the engine block through which the oil flows, and the amount of clearance between the bearings and crankshaft journals. As the bearings wear, clearances increase allowing increased flow which reduces pressure."

I guess the bearings you mean are that "round metal plates" that are attached to the crankshaft. And that sounds like a very expensive fix... :banghead:

My 06 did the same thing from new.
I insralled an oil pressure gauge and turned up the udle to 1400, and that made a big difference.
4 years later - no problems.

turn idle to 1300-1400 as tach is actually off to on some model anywhere between 100-300 rpm..

Yesterday a turned the idle to ~1400 rpms, this plus the new oil made a huge difference. But when the bike heats up (intense traffic), i still got the safe issue, i have to accelerate to almost 2000 rpms to kill the light.

I've discussed this with my mechanic and decided to replace the crankshaft bearings as well as other components that might be wearing off.

Due to fact that in my daily rides i don't catch up with heavy traffic, the light barely ever blinks, so for now i will stay put and see what happens... :poke:

Maybe in 2, 3 months i'll fix the bike, when i have more free time (€€ :whistle:).

I would first install a guage using a t on sending unit side,ride around watch guage.If psi reads same all the time and light flickers you've saved yourself a bill replace the oil sending unit/wire..

I would first install a guage using a t on sending unit side,ride around watch guage.If psi reads same all the time and light flickers you've saved yourself a bill replace the oil sending unit/wire..

Ditto.
The gauge removed all my concerns.

Early on i've measured the oil pressure with a gauge, to make sure i haven't a faulty oil pressure sensor, and when the light came on the gauge didn't detected any pressure at all... it was very very low :banghead: .

when light came on were you riding or idling..there is no reason for bike to make a ton of pressure idling just as you raise rpm,the gpas are filled with oil then psi rises..

Are you saying guage shows no psi when light is on?

The light never came on while riding. The gauge was installed, and the pressure was measured, with the bike idling. And when the light came on, the pressure was very low. The problem is that when the oil and engine heat up (is a bit difficult to the bike to reach this condition idling, the best way is to drive in traffic), i have to accelerate the engine to 2000rpm's. That's why i think i have a very real bearing problem... :banghead:

you don't check idling psi you want to check running psi..the oil gear turns so slow in relation to motor turning at idle that is why it reads super low at idle...what you do is put guage on it,crank it write down cold psi,let it warm up write down warm psi, then slowly rev and every few 1k rpm you rev it write psi down,then post it...

you don't check idling psi you want to check running psi..the oil gear turns so slow in relation to motor turning at idle that is why it reads super low at idle...what you do is put guage on it,crank it write down cold psi,let it warm up write down warm psi, then slowly rev and every few 1k rpm you rev it write psi down,then post it...

I agree with GoldenChild, low oil pressure at idle is nothing to be worried about. As long as the pressure increases with the RPM's you should be fine. That's why the specs only give you a range at 3,500 RPM's. Both my cars have always behaved like this and I am coming up on 200,00 k on one, and 130,000 k with the other, no problems. Just make sure you check your oil level properly, and monitor the pressure with you oil pressure guage.

Remove your oil pan and inside there it is a oil pressure valve remove it and replace it that will fix your problem.

Back