Oil Light

OB_Dan

Registered
Rode bike home from Albany NY to Miller Place NY on Saturday. Bike ran great very happy with bike. Looked bike over made some adjustments and went for ride later that night. Bike had about 250 miles on it when I pushed the bike to 5000/5500 rpms and notice the oil light flicking, backed off throttle and light went out. Took bike out today and had no problems. Has anyone else had oil light problems or worse with low oil pressure? Oil level was fine right were it should be.

[This message has been edited by Dan (edited 07 May 2000).]

it is a pressure light not a level light like on Yamahas. Lame idea level.
It is a simple ground system switch. when you have pressure it opens the switch and you lose ground.It is possible that the Green/Yellow wire touched ground.but I would still throw a pressure guage on it to see.

Same thing happened on my 1100, when I removed the oil pan to weld some minor cracks I never noticed an oil ring from the oil pump fall in to the drip pan. I never cleaned out the old oil when I installed the repaired oil pan (always in a rush). Discovered this "flicker" problem, yet bike seemed ok...

Cleaned out drip pan the next day and noticed an o-ring on the bottom of the pan, checked my manual, sure enough, oil pump o-ring, without I was not getting enough pressure which the sensor picked up....

Don't ignore it! Check it out!

JC
I just had this happen to my bike, I checked the oil level, it was fine, I changed the oil and the light went off and stayed off. (?)

An oil level light is only a good idea if you already have an oil pressure light, or better yet a gauge.

we used to call the lights "idiot lights", if it came on, you were already an idiot...

Back