Oil Leak

robc100

Registered
I have an 02 Busa that just started leaking oil out of the seal around the shaft that the front sprocket is bolted to. Can that oil seal be replaced by simply prying it out and pressing a new one in, or do the cases need to be split in order to replace it? Thanks.

ouch...sux your 1st post had to be this one. :welcome: to the org

Yea - one person told me it can be done without splitting the cases, and another said the cases had to be split. I have a service manual but I guess I need to read it further. I just can't believe that you have to split the cases to replace a $30 seal.

Yea - one person told me it can be done without splitting the cases, and another said the cases had to be split. I have a service manual but I guess I need to read it further. I just can't believe that you have to split the cases to replace a $30 seal.

One way to find out:laugh:

I had an oil leak from that area once. Turned out to be the oil seal from the water pump. Didn't have to split anything, except my wallet cause the new (upgraded) water pump was pricey. Just make sure you have properly diagnosed the source of the oil leak. Good luck.

I had an oil leak from that area once. Turned out to be the oil seal from the water pump. Didn't have to split anything, except my wallet cause the new (upgraded) water pump was pricey. Just make sure you have properly diagnosed the source of the oil leak. Good luck.

I discovered that the water pump is also leaking. Saw some coolant dripping from it. That just looks like a couple of seals and a bearing maybe. Shouldn't be too much of an issue to fix.

The oil leak is definitely coming from the output shaft for the sprocket.

Does anybody have any recommendations on someone in the Phoenix, AZ area that might be able to split the cases, if that's what it needs? I'm not really sure that I want to tackle this job yet.

Does anybody have any recommendations on someone in the Phoenix, AZ area that might be able to split the cases, if that's what it needs? I'm not really sure that I want to tackle this job yet.

I Live in Avondale.
shoot me a PM if you would like some help.

Back