oil filter question.....

dalynchmob4

Donating Member
Registered
hey guys... I'm about to order Amsoil for my girl and I was just curious if I should get a certain kind of oil filter or just use the normal OEM one (does it matter ???)

OEM or Puralator. Stay away from Fram. K&N if you want to pay the extra for it. There are other good ones out there, but cast more than the OEM or Puralator.

I've used Hi Flo filters on my last several bikes. They've worked great so far. Around the same price as OEM. Also have an O-ring gasket, instead of the flat ones that have a tendancy to stick to the motor when you take the old one off.

whats wrong with fram. never used one on a bike, but thats all thats ever been on the wife's aerostar. 213,000mls no knocks, no tics, no smoke. ???

I've used them on cars, but have heard where people have had them blow off on a bike when hitting high RPMs. How true that is, I don't know, but for a few dollars more, you can get an oem.

I've used Hi Flo filters on my last several bikes. They've worked great so far. Around the same price as OEM. Also have an O-ring gasket, instead of the flat ones that have a tendancy to stick to the motor when you take the old one off.

Hi Flo :thumbsup: I herd they were made by K&N

I use Wix or NAPA (rebranded WIX) on all my vehicles. I believe the same manufacturer that makes the Purolator PureONE also makes WIX.

The whole "Fram is crap" thing on the internet is crap. Fram has a higher single-pass filtration rate than other filters and that's why the pressure is lower. The stuff about construction is also bogus. Yes, Fram uses a glued on "cardboard" end cap internally. That does not mean it's an inferior filter. In fact, it's an excellent filter.

Standing by for the inevitable story about somebody knows somebody who had the can on the Fram filter collapse and it blew up their $50,000 turbo busa engine (Corvette, Mustang, Miata, whatever). Yeah, right, do the math and see how much negative pressure (suction) your engine oil pump would have to do to suck in a can with that wall thickness. Just because it's on the internet doesn't mean it's true.

Last edited:
whats wrong with fram. never used one on a bike, but thats all thats ever been on the wife's aerostar. 213,000mls no knocks, no tics, no smoke. ???

First of all Look Close at the THREAD COUNT on any filter the More threads the better.........Fram tend to have very few threads on all their filters, in fact wal-mart brand for the cars is far better Machining on the threads than fram Junk does...........Purolator is what I use on my cars or once in a while the Tech Wal-Mart Brand.......

Bike always gets O.E.M. or K&N .....But lately I find it easier to just get O.E.M.

Buy a scotts and never ask the question where,why what part # again,you just clean it and put micron filter back in...change your oil 15 times and cost is covered and never buy another..

Back