Oil changing tips

nimzondn

Registered
I was just wondering how people change their oil.  Specifically tips and tricks to removing plastic and keep from making a big mess.

I've changed my oil 3 times now on my busa.  On my kawi 636 you can remove 8 or 10 bolts (going from memory) and the whole bottom piece comes off for easy access.  The busa has ~11 or 12 screws plus a couple of plastic rivets per side (or roughly 24 things to take out to remove all the fairling per the m.o.m.).

The first thing I started doing after the 1st oil change was to take only the right side fairing off.  Do others do this?

Also, removing the oil filter is a mess.  The first time the oil in the filter ran all over the pipes which I wiped off to the best of my ability (but it still smoked when hot).  I could not get the filter out from within the pipes without tilting it just enough for oil to spill out.

The second thing I started doing was take some aluminum foil and wrap it around the pipes below the filter and bend it so there's a low point where the oil can run between the left and right set of pipes and into my oil pan (this worked real good).  Then I wait after the new filter is back on and the plug is in and I carefully remove the aluminum foil "drop cloth".  If careful, I get only a few drops of oil on the pipes ... much better.

I'm sure open to learning more ways to neatly change the oil.

Please advise ... of better ways.  I'm all ears.

regards
Hank

<!--EDIT|nimzondn
Reason for Edit: None given...|1146837565 -->

Sounds like you have it worked out. I did basically the same thing - only i used a small piece of cardboard shaped into a "vee" and placed it in between the headers to let the oil trickle down from the filter to the pan.
cool.gif

Replace the Compression washer on the drain plug. And do not over tighten the plug. You will pull (strip) the threads on the pan. Snug it up to the NEW compression washer and just 1/4 to 1/2 turn more and your done.

rock.gif
Why would you take off both the left and right fairing for a oil change.

If you let the oil drain out of the engine first...there will be less oil left in the filter when you remove it
wink.gif

I've never replaced that compression washer. Never had any leaks, so I guess it's OK? Do you guys replace it every time?

rock.gif
Why would you take off both the left and right fairing for a oil change.
I only took both fairings off the first time because the m.o.m. did not specify I could do the filter change w/o taking both sides off.  Now I know better and only take the right side off.

I do drain all oil out (with the fill cap off to eliminate vacuum) and let it drain for 30 minutes or more before I take the filter off.  I still get some spillage but not much ... its just that a little spilled oil is a lot of spilled oil.

I've not changed my oil plug washer either.  I am just very careful not to over tighten.  I thought maybe an elastomer washer would be good that's good for high temps.  Anyone done this?

thanks for all the input

I've never replaced that compression washer.  Never had any leaks, so I guess it's OK?  Do you guys replace it every time?
I've only changed mine once so far and I didn't replace the washer. I also torqued the bolt to the recommended 23 Nm. No leaks so far!

<!--EDIT|EastCoast
Reason for Edit: None given...|1148130497 -->

Here's a question about the filter. I read in the m.o.m. that they suggest turning the filter two revolutions after the gasket contacts the engine casing to get a tight seal (by marking the filter with a marks-a-lot or something at the 12 o'clock position).
I tried that but I didn't turn it two full rotations. I could tighten it by hand one full rotation and maybe another quarter but it just seems too hard to turn even with my filter wrench.

I've always, with cars and bikes, put my filter on hand tight unless it was very hard to reach and couldn't get a good grip on it; at which time I would use a wrench to turn it another 1/4 or 1/2 rotation. I've never had an oil filter leak ... ever ... and they come off without a lot of effort.

What do you guys do?

Watch out for air locks, after adding the new oil/filter sometimes air lock can happen..You start the engine and the oil light remains on.
You have back off the oil filter let some oil run out.

<!--EDIT|RonB
Reason for Edit: None given...|1148394751 -->

I use cardboard to keep the oil off of the pipes, drain the oil from the motor first to decrease the amount of oil in the filter. I use a "strap wrench" to tighten my filter. (But not to tight) I have not replaced my compression washer either. I have a 2001, should I? I have had no leaks.

On all my Honda cars, there is a compression washer on the drain plug . I never changed it on any of them and never had any leaks. BWT- if you add the miles I put on those Accords, it's in the hundreds of thousands of miles.

I use a K&N filter with the nut welded on the end and use a straight box end wrench to loosen/tighten. Can get it around 2x easy and way easier than trying to mess with a filter wrench and socket...

Well worth the $20 if you ask me.

And I replace my crush washer every oil change and torgue to spec. I feel better...as the last thing that I want is for a oil drain bolt to drop while at speed. Likely? No. Possible? Yes.

I just rinse the header off with the orange Goo Off geyl stuf and flush with lots of water... Start it up, check for leaks and get a nice warm orange smell too!

Back