Oil Capacity

95bluestreak

Registered
I just installed a full exhaust on my busa and I was wondering what the crankcase oil capacity was? I removed the oil cooler so I know I will have to fill a little more than the recommended measurement. Any ideas how much more? Thanks in advance for the help!

Jason

thumb_up.gif
bump.gif

Cool, Thanks! There is a little sight on the right side of the bike (i think its the clutch cover?) Is that in fact an oil level view sight? If so, it is on the very bottom of the sight, is four quarts a regular oil change or a oil change and cooler drain? Sorry for sounding like an idiot, bikes is a new field for me.

Jason

Cool, Thanks!  There is a little sight on the right side of the bike (i think its the clutch cover?) Is that in fact an oil level view sight?  If so, it is on the very bottom of the sight, is four quarts a regular oil change or a oil change and cooler drain?  Sorry for sounding like an idiot, bikes is a new field for me.

Jason
Yes, thats the oil level view sight = equivalent to an oil dipstick on a car. Keep a fifth quart of oil around just to have.  One thing you haven't mentioned is if your using a new oil filter?  4 quarts is an oil change with a new filter.  OK,Everything hooked up?-put the oil in, in fact just check the little window during the forth quart, since we don't know if we're dealing with a new filter or not, just fill it to the full mark next to the window, screw oil cap back on the engine, run engine/circulate oil at idle with bike level (sitting on it or on stands), no revving till oil has circulated.

Turn off engine and let it sit a minute, check oil level always with engine not running, add if needed. As long as your showing oil in the window upon initial startup (new/old filter, empty oil cooler,etc) you'll be fine.

panels_006.jpg

Nice writeup mymaster.

A point to consider, bluestreak: the oil probably drains out of the cooler anyway when you do an oil change.

Back