OhYeah.....WhatFor?

OB_shane

Registered
OhYea:
You said
>>I own the Bus, but it is holding me over until the 12 arrives. Then the Bus will become the tourer, and the 12 the real deal<<

I have a deposit on a 2000 busa. Why do you want to get a ZX-12? The dealership where I have my deposit is Kawasaki/Suzuki. When I heard about the rumors of the 12, I asked him if I could switch to the 12 if it turned out to be better than the busa. He said it wouldn't be a problem, but suggested that I still get the busa. I asked him why and he said that the 12 doesn't look to be 'that' much better, it's the first year production (possible fixes like the busa experienced), and the busa will have more after market equipment having been out a year more than the 12. He also said the busa would be working easier (larger displacement) to put out the 150-160 rwhp. I plan on putting in a big bore kit after I run through the warranty period and I've seen posts of 3mm over for 1396cc and they claim approx 200 hp.
Do you think this would be easier with the 12?

I've bought all my bikes from this dealer and I trust him - so why do you, a current busa owner, think that the 12 is the real deal? Why would my dealer be steering me towards the busa?

Thats a good point about weight and I would also add that in the quest for lighter and lighter you also get weaker and weaker. I would prefer some reserve strenght in a bike and not just chassis , I mean engine, clutch, transmission etc. These are street bikes afterall, subject to many uses and abuses.

In the interests of weight reduction, I clip my fingernails, pluck my eyebrows, exfoliate, gag myself with a warm spoon, cum in raw liver, blow my nose, hoark, crap, Q-Tip my ears, shave, remove temporary tattoos, rid myself of all bad memories and sandpaper my contact lenses before every ride.

I don't fart though because that stuff may be lighter than air.

Welcome to a new work week.

Mondays suck.

Jeeze thanks Pete! I was going to decapitate myself I read somewhere that the average human head weighs about ten pounds. What grain paper do you use on your contact lenses? I can't believe I didn't think of that!!!

[This message has been edited by ZX-12 (edited 26 September 1999).]

WEIGHT (not a typo)til next month. Can you say power to weight ratio and handling in the twisties.
They are both great bikes, no worries you can't go wrong, especially if you have both.
OOOHHH YYEEEAAAAA!!

Theres always those boogers lurking in there to foil a good et. Shaving your whole body and riding yourself of useless organs such as appendicks one kidney, testicle or tesicles if your sure your through with that nonsense hobby. How do you think the pros do it? Whoops, sorry, mindless babble but its fun!

Funny you say weight, so far the dry weight listed of the ZX12 is 476 lb., guess what the dry weight of the Busa listed is? 473 lb.

Only the Busa has been put on a dyno, with the avg RWHP 150-155. This is exactly what the 2 magazines said the ZX12 *MIGHT* make. Don't start with claimed crankshaft HP saying the ZX12 has more, after all you do ride a bike with wheels, chain, gears right? All contribute to friction loss. BTW claimed 183 -vs- 174 for the Busa here.....I do stress *claimed*, these are calculated numbers, not real life.

So in your book, just when does 476+ 150 beat 473 + 150?

[This message has been edited by jeffw (edited 26 September 1999).]

Jeff,
I was going to mention that earlier when I read this but forgot. The WEIGHT!!!!, Of the Busa is going to be lighter. Great minds think alike.

Turtle

What about 473+250+riding gear(+or-5lbs if I take a dump)? Personally I don't know why everyone wants a 400lb sport bike for the street. Would you all really notice quicker commute times to and from work with a 70 lb difference? Give me a break, with the power these bikes produce weight does not matter as much as design, suspension or the biggest factor the rider. If your commute includes a racetrack then you need to worry about 70 lbs. I think we all read too many magazines.

Steves,
I've picked my nose, shaved my head (but I'm growing my beard back), and I have had
my appendix removed.

I think I'll keep both kidneys (I might damage one in a high speed accident while running
from a helicopter).

That *nonesense* hobby is still quite high on my list of priorities so I think I’ll keep my
appen-bobos and both testicles (good symmetry).

OhYeah,
The possible (no verified numbers yet) weight to power ratio is what intrigued me about
the 12. As I stated previously, the optimistic pre-release bhp numbers are not ‘that’ much
more than the busa’s pre-release bhp numbers were. Weight stills seem to be in question
as well. You still didn’t address my other concerns. If your willing to plunk down 10/11
grand for a new bike to have only maybe 10 or so more ponies, why don’t you put a big
bore kit in the busa and buy a used 600 for the twisties?

To all of you that have become defensive and entered into this post-- Screw off. Your sacred Busa's and Ego's are safe until most of you read differently in a magazine. Boys and Girls the fact is the Busa will step aside soon enough. Enjoy what we have for now and don't worry about it.
I own a Bus and know what it can do and have been on two different dyno's.
167 hp rear wheel. 10-15 hp more if you place ram air into the pig.
I do not want to bore it out yet. Defeats the purpose of this game. I could build a GSXR100 to beat the Busa if I wanted to go that route.
And if I change my mind, I will wait and see if the 3mm over mod will last first. Suzuki says 3mm over is a No No!!
thin thin thin.
The ZX-12 may make more than 183 hp and it may weigh less than 476 pounds. I did not realize all of you have already dynoed the bike and weighed it as well.
I guess I will know how they compare for sure since i can go to the same dyno on the same day with both of them next spring.
It would be a smart bet that Kawasaki releases a bike that is slower than the Hayabusa in top speed and 1/4 mi, don't you think?

OhYea - I was wondering about the thinness of the walls (I thought they had already
significantly narrowed the block and wondered if a big bore was feasible). Was it your dealer that recommended against the 3mm over, or did you read it in a mag, or where?
Whoever did the big bore kit, I would appreciate any comments. Did you read the post that said that Mr. Turbo now has a turbo for the busa that is approx $3,500? Would you go this route? What about the needed compression changes and possibility of detonation? I would like to have a bike that produces 200+ rwhp and that is reliable as well.

I considered going the GSXR100 (in my case it was going to be a turbo charged Bandit
1200), but I wanted a bike that would handle at high speed and had good aerodynamics. The reliability of turbos still worries me.

What is the purpose of <<this game>> that you are talking about?

Do you know of any sites that have NEW information on the 12?

Check out Nov. issues of Motorcyclist or Cycleworld for the latest ZX-12R information. The latest until the Paris show is still 183HP and 476lbs. But it is looking better than the previous photo's.

Back