Off-season ATVing.

NCBusa2001

Registered
Thought I'd share some pictures of some off season activities. Uwharrie National Forrest is about 40 minutes from my current house. It's a great place to go when you want to get farther off road. We tend to go every few weeks in the Fall and Spring when it's not too crowded, as it is one of four places in NC to ride. (National forrests that is).
It has about 19 miles of trails that are kept up farily well. There is a large SUV following that rides there. I see everything from hummers to Lexus RS300's. Though it seems the more the vehicle cost, the younger the driver. Daddy's money I guess.

Enjoy, ride safe and have fun. Chris

hondaonrock.jpg

Here's Kim on the Lakota. Nice ATV, 300cc 4 stroke, Jet kit, K&N filter, Supertrapp pipe, and re-geared. Little front heavy with the Warn winch, but has 9" of travel up front to handle the jumps.

kim_on_lakota.jpg

Last one. Starting through the shallow end of one of the many trenches up there. Has a fairly abrupt straight up exit. We spent some time watching a Jeep and a blazer tearing themselves apart trying to climb out. Chris

honda_in_mud.jpg

Looks like a great time. I miss my raptor, unfortunately in CT there is NO WHERE to ride legally. I got tired of getting tickets and harrassed, and travelling out of state to ride, so I ended up selling it.

Raptorsand.jpg

Wow, that looks so much fun... Reminds me of my childhood when I would go off-roading with my family up in the mountains of Colombia... Had a few close calls with guerrillas so we ended up moving to the U.S. ..... now I ride a busa... go figure
wink.gif

I would love to do some more ATV/Dirtbike riding though... I don't know of any places around where I live in Florida.. and I don't have dirtbikes/trailers... I would love if I could rent the bikes and use them for the day, though. Off-roading is lots of fun

We are in the process of buying 40 acres about 6 miles west of the riding trails. Our bid was accepted in September but getting one line surveyed is holding everything up. But when everything closes that property could have some pretty good possibilities.
We are thinking...Dirt bike course, shooting ranges, trap "trail" with a few different stations, and of course "lodging". We figure everything built can double as something else. That way heavy equipment costs can be kept to a minimum. For instance the table top jumps can double as a pistol range backstops. Figure a GNCC type course winding around for a 2-3 mile lap, with all kinds of fun stuff in between. That could also double as the walking skeet/shooting trail. I love those kind of ranges. My favorite are three gun matches (Semiauto rifle, pistol and shotgun) where you walk along and shoot at pop-up targets or "pepper poppers" at different stations.
Along with my NRA instruction/CCH courses, building the ranges just makes good sense. The NRA has range development programs that will hook you into hosting sanctioned events. Imagine having an IDPA, Action shooting, or NRA events in your backyard.

Plus...

We could offer all kinds of "tours" of the Uwharrie area. Kayaking trips down the Uwharrie river (already doing it), ATV tours of the trails and ATV rentals (tax write off for buying more ATV's...Priceless
smile.gif
), fishing trips on the PeeDee river (3 big long lakes), and Camping/Cabins on our land.

Sorry for the long story, I'm just excited. feel free to comment. Chris

Chris

I would love to check out Moab (sp) dunes. I've seen some incredible ATVs on tv jumping some massive dunes. That would be a blast. We live in the "Sandhills" of North Carolina, so we have some fun sandpits to ride in illegaly, but nothing like big natural dunes. Makes ya want to go out and get an old '86 Honda 250R and go play. Chris

We are in the process of buying 40 acres about 6 miles west of the riding trails.  Our bid was accepted in September but getting one line surveyed is holding everything up.  But when everything closes that property could have some pretty good possibilities.  
We are thinking...Dirt bike course, shooting ranges, trap "trail" with a few different stations, and of course "lodging".  We figure everything built can double as something else.  That way heavy equipment costs can be kept to a minimum.  For instance the table top jumps can double as a pistol range backstops.  Figure a GNCC type course winding around for a 2-3 mile lap, with all kinds of fun stuff in between.  That could also double as the walking skeet/shooting trail.  I love those kind of ranges.  My favorite are three gun matches (Semiauto rifle, pistol and shotgun) where you walk along and shoot at pop-up targets or "pepper poppers" at different stations.  
Along with my NRA instruction/CCH courses, building the ranges just makes good sense.  The NRA has range development programs that will hook you into hosting sanctioned events.  Imagine having an IDPA, Action shooting, or NRA events in your backyard.  

Plus...

We could offer all kinds of "tours" of the Uwharrie area.  Kayaking trips down the Uwharrie river (already doing it), ATV tours of the trails and ATV rentals (tax write off for buying more ATV's...Priceless
smile.gif
), fishing trips on the PeeDee river (3 big long lakes),  and Camping/Cabins on our land.  

Sorry for the long story, I'm just excited.  feel free to comment.  Chris

Chris
thumbs-up.gif
 Dude sounds like a perfect scenario to me...  I am wanting to get some property, and the whole shooting range/ dirt track sounds pretty good...

I was also thinking a short 1-2 mile road course would be awesome, Go carts, Cars and Bikes.... But then we start getting into bigger $$$ I bet.

Sounds like you have it pretty well worked out, only thing is I dunno if the ATV guys are going to really appreciate their Table Top being the pistol back stop...  Though it could add an extra element of excitement.  
biggrin.gif

<!--EDIT|Revlis
Reason for Edit: None given...|1103154669 -->

actually that photo was from Little Sahara on the west side of Utah, but we first went to Moab, nice ride dirt. But this pic is my favorite, that is my 92 uear old grandmother in the buggy with me last xmas at Pismo Beach. that was the last time we were together before she passed away. we just got back from riding and climbing every dune. That is a day I will never forget and I cherish more than anyone can imagine.

pismo.JPG

thanks Revlis, and it is street legal and I never have to smog it, in a month or 2 we are going to build the motor to just a mild 1915 cc, but when done it will pull wheelies with the nose pointing straight up

Nice buggy and you have good memories to go with them.

Rev, if you find some land go for it. I'm sure you could find a way to make it pay for itself. A road course would be great. I could set up a coffee can at the gate for concrete money donations
smile.gif
. Yeah, and grandstands, yeah, and a hot dog stand, yeah, and a cash bar, yeah, and chicks.. lots of chicks. Chris

Back