OEM Fuel Pump?

avalanche07

Registered
Is it me or is Suzuki out of their mind wanting $600.00 on an OEM fuel pump. :laugh:

I've been having a starting issue with my 03 Busa and I have trouble shoot it all the way down to the fuel pump. The only problem is that Suzuki dealerships don't sell just the pump they sell the whole mechanism as one level and all.

I pose this question. Would I be able to substitute the pump from a 03 Suzuki vehicle with a 2.0L engine w 2000cc for the OEM pump.

The pumps are the same in diameter and a called the manufacturer to find out the Max psi and it puts out at 80-90 psi max. I was looking at the repair manual (4-11) where it states that the fuel pump should put out 64-85 psi and the fuel pressure regulator will only apply 43 psi higher than whats in the throttle body at all times.

The Big Question????????????????

1)Is is possible to interchange the two pumps and have no problems?
2) Have I missed any particular specs that may cause damage by using this aftermarket pump?
3) Why the H> E> LL can't I buy just the pump alone from Suzuki? Its just like any other parts. WTF:banghead:

Thanks for allowing me to let off some stem I haven't been on 2wheels since OCT
:lol:

That sux man. Glad to see you were able to diagnose the problem. I thought it was checking out ok? The prices are looking pretty brutal out there for a replacement pump. $540 pretty much everywhere I've looked.

why ydo you want to replace your fuel pump since your still works? You got an electrical problem and swapping pumps isn't going to change that. Sorry I didn't notice your reply in your other thread. You mentioned you hot wired the pump and it worked. That means the pump isn't the issue.

why ydo you want to replace your fuel pump since your still works? You got an electrical problem and swapping pumps isn't going to change that. Sorry I didn't notice your reply in your other thread. You mentioned you hot wired the pump and it worked. That means the pump isn't the issue.

That's kinda what I was getting at Avalanche. If it whizzes when you wire it, I think that it's something else. I'm no mechanic tho.

Hey commta, I did mention that in the other post but I finally took it in to a mechanic and he told me that the pump had failed with all the test he had run. I explained everything I've done to the bike and he knew a lot about the system already.

I checked his credentials and he's certified so I assumed he knew what he's doing. What do u think about the fuel pump swap though.

Hey commta, I did mention that in the other post but I finally took it in to a mechanic and he told me that the pump had failed with all the test he had run. I explained everything I've done to the bike and he knew a lot about the system already.

I checked his credentials and he's certified so I assumed he knew what he's doing. What do u think about the fuel pump swap though.

I did not catch that either.

You jumped the pump and it worked, I would have to assume at least one of his test was to jump the pump as well. If the pump worked for him as well and he's still suggesting you swap pumps then I would let him replace the pump. This way when it still doesn't work he can eat the costs for the new replacement.

I must be missing something in the whole story. ???

I have just a pump if you still need one..I also have the bosch high volume upgrade pumps also..

Moin moin,

don't you have another Busa in your neighborhood so you can easily change the whole tank for testing purposes? Shouldn't take longer than an hour to go the way up and back again. Much easier than to change the pump.

Next thought:
The pump has got an o-ring on its lower end side. If it's broken or not in place the pump works properly but pushes the gas only in the tank itself and not in the fuel line.
So get off the fuel line and the clip on the pump side as well, put on a long enough "normal" fuel line and switch on the ignition. The gas has to be torn out the line with "enough" pressure. Btw. kill your cigarette before....

Ciao
D1

Any easy way to test this problem would be to pull the line from the fuel rail, point it into a bucket and cycle the pump. If there's a steady flow then the o-rings may be fine.
Next thought:
The pump has got an o-ring on its lower end side. If it's broken or not in place the pump works properly but pushes the gas only in the tank itself and not in the fuel line.
So get off the fuel line and the clip on the pump side as well, put on a long enough "normal" fuel line and switch on the ignition. The gas has to be torn out the line with "enough" pressure. Btw. kill your cigarette before....

Ciao
D1

UPDATE

First I wanted to say thanks to all of you for helping me through this rough time! All the PM's helped a bunch a I plan on continuing using the forum to gain more knowledge on the bike. I owe you all:beerchug:

The dealer has confirmed that the ECU has crapped out. They said they first did all the diagnosis for the c41 error code then finally swapped out the ECU with a know good one. Part runs at $400.00+ w/o a warrenty.

If yall know of any one trying to get rid of one let me know by PM

Thanks again riders and be safe out there:thumbsup::cheerleader:

UPDATE

The Busa is back:cheerleader: The dealer found me a ECU popped it in and now my baby is purring like a beast:laugh: Thanks to everyone that helped with the project!

Now I have to get some new tires:thumbsup:

Back