Odd Fi Light! Please Assist.

ZXROM

Registered
Hello, my 2008 with 14k on it started popping FI light all of a sudden during normal rides. It will come on rarely and at random. No noises or unusual behavior except my RPM will drop to 1000 at idle, and when you pull clutch in to shift, RPM will drop a lot quicker than normal and make shifting and throttling kind of difficult.
Problem here is I can't diag it, because as soon as I stop and cycle the red kill switch, FI light disappears, and if the bike is started, idle is back to normal 1300RPM and it rides and shifts smoothly.

I can't catch the FI light to diag it, does anyone have any experience with something like this? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

Put it in dealer mode, and drive around till the FI light comes on, it will show the code in dealer mode!

Update, called Suzuki dealer to ask if bike goes into limp mode when FI light comes on, was told that it does, and the first question they asked is if I had aftermarket levers on the bike. And I do, got ASV levers which I love. Tech said that if the clutch switch isn't properly released, bike won't see gear changes and will throw FI light on. I also noticed that sometimes it reads wrong gear momentarily during shifts. I guess I'll have to check the switch.

I have had cheap china levers and ASV never had that problem. Had to adjust china levers out for enough to engage clutch switch so the n I ke would start though.

Still having intermittenft FI light, managed to read the code while it was idling, and its the C40. I've read that jumping the clutch switch or clutch switch getting stuck will cause the code. Well I check how my ASV clutch lever engages the push switch and found no problem there. Took the switch off, and Ohmed it out. When depressed, I get resistance, when released its OL, which means the switch is working like it should. So I'm still clueless on what's causing it to throw the code. When I first installed ASV levers, the clutch lever was misadjusted and it did push the switch in too far to where it got stuck, but I fixed that a while ago, and still get the FI light...

@ZXROM Did you ever fix this issue? I'm having the same issue earlier today, and this is the only post I've seen my exact problem on

@ZXROM Did you ever fix this issue? I'm having the same issue earlier today, and this is the only post I've seen my exact problem on
I'm not sure yet,I have taken the clutch switch out and pulled the connectors a little further apart inside the switch, also lubricated the slide for the switch. I think what happens is the switch gets stuck closed because of the way the lever pushes on it. So far it's been good, but I haven't really been on any long rides lately. I'd try to replace the switch and make sure the lever doesn't push the switch ALL the way when you install the new one, just enough to click it.

Ok, i took it off and put it back on this morning and rode to school. Did fine with easy riding but as i got off the interstate i was shifting down to slow down, and the light seems to come on when my bike hits a certain rpm. Then the fi light will come on and it will try to die when coming to stop

Haven't really had time to mess with it, ill try and pull it tonight. I don't think the issue is all that different, you've mentioned it makes it harder to throttle because of rpm drop, which if you hold the clutch in coming to a stop sometimes it will feel like its trying to die, or will just straight up die. And i can't keep the fuel injection light on just like yours.

I got it to show the code with the bike running. Pulled the seat and jumped the pins as it was running and flashing the light. Try the same see what code it is. It's the right place to start.

My dad installed the levers while i was up north for school and yesterday was the first day I have had my bike in a while and he installed the clutch lever wrong and it broke the clutch switch, problem solved on my end

Reinstall your OEM levers and see if the problem goes away. It's not the clutch switch it self, it's the lever that is most likely binding the switches action.

Only problem with the oem levers I have is that they are back home, and clutch lever is broken. They are brand new ASV shorties, I'll make sure they are installed correctly this time and then we'll see if it does it again. Then I'll let ASV know :cussing:

Trust me here the clutch switch has to operating correct;y on a Gen 2 or a C40 gets thrown.
Gen 1's are not a problem. The Gen 2's ICS valve is super sensitive to the input of the clutch switch. If it see's a ground input
while the RPM's are up, it will show a the code.
I figured this out with my Brembo Masters on my Gen 2. We where using a hydraulic switch and it was still showing a ground
when i would down shift hard.
Only problem with the oem levers I have is that they are back home, and clutch lever is broken. They are brand new ASV shorties, I'll make sure they are installed correctly this time and then we'll see if it does it again. Then I'll let ASV know :cussing:

Installed the new clutch switch on friday before I went out on the Hellbender ride with some i-shoc fellas, and hasn't skipped a beat since :thumbsup:
The switch just had a little piece broken off inside it, lesson learned lol

Back