not start after fuel pump mod/inline filter

Ok, Bosch pump is in box but I got it running sorts.

1 coil was loose when connected. I added few strands of stripped wire wrapped at top of that plug thread and snugged it until new coil arrives, redneck fix.

I removed the filter and just ran line direct to eliminate the filter from the situation.

It cuts out at higher rpm but ok at idle to 3k.

Attached files but could not embed this time?

20221020_174019.jpg

Are you trying to run it without the airbox on? Or does it run poorly after completely assembled? If the airbox is off, remove the intake air temp sensor from the airbox and plug it onto the connector on the bike. Also make sure that the vacuum line for the flapper is plugged and that you didn't accidentally knock off any other vacuum lines. My personal opinion is that champion plugs do not belong in there. Check everything over and put a set of NGK or ND plugs in

Are you trying to run it without the airbox on? Or does it run poorly after completely assembled? If the airbox is off, remove the intake air temp sensor from the airbox and plug it onto the connector on the bike. Also make sure that the vacuum line for the flapper is plugged and that you didn't accidentally knock off any other vacuum lines. My personal opinion is that champion plugs do not belong in there. Check everything over and put a set of NGK or ND plugs in.
Got it running perfect after fixed coil, but as soon as put on the airbox it runs a little, coughs until it dies. It APPEARS that it is starving fuel but that makes no sense after easily pulling 8k repeatedly, idling fine, until I turn it off

Do you have the old injectors? It might be worth cleaning them and giving them a try. I'd be leery of the amazon injectors, but that's just a shot in the dark. If you had a way to check fuel pressure, that would also be a good start. It's possible that the pump outlet seal, regulator seal, or filter outlet seal could be leaking.

Last edited:
Got airbox off and ran it up to 8k+ few times and idles fine. Get back into it tomorrow and will let it warm up 1st and THEN put airbox on while it is running. That will be a new fact for all to know.

Oh I do have the old injectors, but when using the injector filter removal kit it mangled 1 of the filters and mashed it into the injector ( the last of the 4 injectors I did of course), thus I got new ones. Wasn't sure how much stuff was unrecoverable in that injector thus adding to the saga. Even if that 1 did spray clean during my testing would not mean stuff was not in there to haunt me later so ca-ching$ again.
Given the sub pat design of the fuel pump in tank and how it is mounted in the assembly begs for leak issues I am thinking to just mount the new pump external with the external filter. That would be far more bullet proof AND far, ahem, FAR easier to service as needed.
So tomorrow I'll be reading up on doing that as this is my 1st venture into fuel injection.
Since I have the tools of a 10 year old boy doing bicycle repair if I pull it off anybody can.

10/25 update:
Got the Bosch pump out of it's plastic housing, wired and got into the pump assembly, hooked up tank to bike, primed 3 times just to verify all was well.
Added gas and it keeps blowing fuel pump fuse!??

All set to remove tank but now I don't know what I will do it even look for.

So it did prime when turning key 3 times in a row. All I did was put it tank and submerged in gas... Why would that blow the fuse?

All I did was put it tank and submerged in gas... Why would that blow the fuse?

I am on my phone and cannot really look this up but for one check the instructions and two search this forum. I think this pump draws enough current when operating normally that it requires a higher capacity fuse than the stock fuse.

Thanks for the quick and wise input. I did run a 25amp fuse but now it no longer primed at all! Did not blow fuse. I keyed 2 times very fast and a 30 second pause between tries as to not overheat anything if there was a miraculous short.

I will add 1 thing as I am stretched for any likely possibility, I do have the front headlight fairing off. Note fairing was ALSO off when the pump primed in my hand for initial testing before I put into the tank, and the pump shares this circuit from what I have searched.
So to rule it out, I'll plug in the front fairing and try again after my bulk shipment of fuses arrives tomorrow.

It has to be a fault in the pump if its blowing fuses whether it's wired wrong or the pump is toast, it's hard to say.

What's a challenge is throwing money and parts at it with no satisfaction.

I know OEM is expensive but in some cases the cost is worth not having the frustration.

I've always found diagnosing an issue is extremely hard over the internet.

So now there is no power when turn the key, unreal. Ignition, pump, head lights, signal fuses all good.
I am about to go oem for fuel pump setup but now even if I had it to just pop in I need to find the source for no power to ignition aside from the fuse.

Tank is off, front fairing on with new bulbs all around, pump disconnected obviously, fuses good, battery is new and been on battery tender (battery at 13.53 volts with tender unplugged). So what did the Bosch fuel pump fry is the question...

Back