not start after fuel pump mod/inline filter

mr1roll

Registered
2004 Hayabusa
D&D 4 into 2
Powercommander mapped
Pair Mod
gutted airbox
TRE mod (i forget the name but the better of the main 2 I saw available)

So I was out for 2 years due to a minor liver and and kidney transplant (I am now in perfect condition unlike the bike) ... fuelsystem/tank got all corroded from sitting gas.

I dereusted my tank, new injectors, did the drill-out stock fuel filter mod (found here by SEARCHING): and added external filter for a more robust system.

inline filters
: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08R429GDV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

tank coating
was so easy: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B3I2NWG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

injectors: Amazon.com: 15710-24F00 1571024F00 4 Pcs Fuel Injector Compatibile with Suzu-ki GSXR 600 750 1000 Hayabusa GSX1300 : Automotive

new gas cap
as mine the bottom aluminum crumbled as i removed it! : https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07YYBLDZ7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Fuel pump: MOSTPLUS - In-tank EFI Fuel Pump - Compatible with Suzuki Hayabusa GSXR1300 1300R

Fuel line (5/16?? Iforget but got the the line mentioned in the inline fuel filter mod) size looked correct and fit correct)

New Plugs: Champion 9cre? dont have right here to check but they are the standard busa plug from Honda House here in RICHMOND, VA

Now it wont start. however, a couple times IT DID START!! had to turn idle WTF down but would not pull over 6k rpm without sputtering.

I have only basic tools now, no more test gauges etc as I am renting (divorce in process - Thank God). FYI I am a GenX engineer out on disability, tons of time, not much special things available to test anything.

Considering the data/info provided please...... does anybody have an insight or likely culprit in mind to share with me? asking me the tire pressure is nice, thoughtful, but not so useful.

not sure what to do next other than get it back to a stock fuel system setup which would just f'n suck for the cost

Matt

I would be a bit skeptical of that fuel pump personally. Sounds like something isn't delivering enough fuel if it would not rev beyond 6k RPM. Also check the reviews for that pump, another person that bought it has the exact issue you are having.

Thanks for quick input!
I only mentioned the surgery stuff as a flag out to any others. worst part seems to have been letting the bike rot! :)

I have new champion plugs, also wont start on the NGKs it had in it for maybe 300 miles use.

I was fearing and thinking fuel pump as well given the 6k rpm issue and I suppose I will replace with anther more trusted pump. I'll check the user threads for recommendations but welcome any raving fans preferred plugs suggestion as well.

This forum is awesome and I will keep posting as I go, for others, with as many pics/vids as possible

Thanks for quick input!
I only mentioned the surgery stuff as a flag out to any others. worst part seems to have been letting the bike rot! :)

I have new champion plugs, also wont start on the NGKs it had in it for maybe 300 miles use.

I was fearing and thinking fuel pump as well given the 6k rpm issue and I suppose I will replace with anther more trusted pump. I'll check the user threads for recommendations but welcome any raving fans preferred plugs suggestion as well.

This forum is awesome and I will keep posting as I go, for others, with as many pics/vids as possible
Good luck on the rebuild, and be sure to keep us updated. We all love seeing pictures also. I recently picked up a bike with a bad transmission and without this forum I don't think I would have made it through doing the work myself.

Glad to hear you healed up and are ready to get back on the road!

Took a few pics and saw I forgot little add ons:
Rotors, speedo healer (big difference at "70mph" vs stock), adjustable kick stand, just did fork seals, front rear sprockets, lowering links, levers, and soon to be lowered forks in new triple tree.
Also, pics of plugs, 1st plugs that were in it when running, then plugs as I was trying to get it running.

20221016_164605.jpg

20221016_164617.jpg

20221016_164651.jpg

20221016_164651.jpg

20221016_154103.jpg

20221016_154056.jpg

Are you trying to run it without the airbox on? Or does it run poorly after completely assembled? If the airbox is off, remove the intake air temp sensor from the airbox and plug it onto the connector on the bike. Also make sure that the vacuum line for the flapper is plugged and that you didn't accidentally knock off any other vacuum lines. My personal opinion is that champion plugs do not belong in there. Check everything over and put a set of NGK or ND plugs in.

Well I tried airbox on and off, big check thanks for vacuum lines suggestion. Flapper line is plugged too. Ran air sensor plugged and unplugged while I flailed at anything like a drowning victim.
I will put the ngk's in as I have heard of champion woes too.
Given the rpm drop after 6k I'll get a well known fuel pump, clean new injectors (bought a cleaning kit too) then see where I end up.
I looked at Rock Auto for a pump but their pic shows a pump in a steel casing... Don't want to be precision cutting steel with a hand held Dremel as things are already bad enough in bike land.

I saw another thread with a pump change with minor cutting for fitment so will check that out tomorrow and likely get that same pump!

Can't thank you all enough and hope this time I get to provide useful info too instead of just leaching

1 more lesson learned, my pump/tank seal ring got in some wd40 and it swelled up, absorbed oils, and remained way too big to ever re-fit. Had to order new 1. So don't go lubing it or anything from what I learned .

The Bosch (69420) pump has a plastic casing around it. If you're careful, you can score it with a razor knife. When you get close to through it will crack on its, own. Then you can carefully crack all the pieces away. There will be a little piece of plastic with a brass ring crimped on it, that will probably be left on the inlet, you can leverage it off with a screwdriver. Also, the connector that comes with the pump won't be able to be used, it hits the fuel pressure regulator. You can either cut the connector housing off the pump, or just solder the wires to the terminals and leave it in place. Is there any way that you could have broken through the outside of the fuel pump housing while drilling it?

I was careful to just drill within the housing and there are no fuel leaks during the starting efforts so at least 1 thing went well!
checking the link now as I was already searching, much appreciated

also given all the rusty nasty fuelpump wells shown by others, I realize I should have brushed some of the tank coating into the steel fuel pump well as that will begin the get-nasty-again process the microsecond it has been cleaned too.

I was looking at your picture. Please don't use that fuel filter, it is not intended for fuel injection. Not related to your issue, but a safety risk. Also, make sure the fuel line and clamps are intended for fuel injection.

Last edited:
I was looking at your picture. Please don't use that fuel filter, it is not intended for fuel injection. Not related to your issue, but a safety risk. Also, make sure the fuel line and clamps are intended for fuel injection.
Sometimes all it takes a wrong fuel filter to make problems.

I put an external fuel filter on one of my carbureted bikes years ago and it fell on its face, I thought there was no way it was the brand new recommended (by a bike mechanic) fuel filter but it was as it wasn't allowing enough flow at higher rpm...

I took it off and there was an instant change in the bike.

Sometimes all it takes a wrong fuel filter to make problems.

I put an external fuel filter on one of my carbureted bikes years ago and it fell on its face, I thought there was no way it was the brand new recommended (by a bike mechanic) fuel filter but it was as it wasn't allowing enough flow at higher rpm...

I took it off and there was an instant change in the bike.
I am looking for filters now, just ordered the Bosch 69420 pump from rock auto

Yes I should know, I spent last 20 years working for US companies in Chinese manufacturing for quality engineering and have seen all the cluster F'S I can take.
It is a miracle how many good products can make it out of there but the manufacturing line, not just the supplier, makes all the difference. Keurig and Cuisinart are made in same building as the other $19 products but the quality is a different world for each production line! Go Chinese product and be weary. I just got a KAYO Fox 70 atv but really looked into it for example.
Also got married in Shanghai & lived in China

Back