Not a busa, cap bought a bike..

captain

Dis in my way!
Staff member
Administrator
Before the flaming begins on this.... I did not buy a new bike but a used dual sport, a Suzuki DR650 that I can ride the back roads around here. I had to get on two wheels again and this is the best option for now. I just can't swing 20k for a new busa and that is where my eyes are set on.

This DR650 is a ton of fun, I put about 60 miles of backroads on her today and it was just fun.

DR650.jpg

Before the flaming begins on this.... I did not buy a new bike but a used dual sport, a Suzuki DR650 that I can ride the back roads around here. I had to get on two wheels again and this is the best option for now. I just can't swing 20k for a new busa and that is where my eyes are set on.

This DR650 is a ton of fun, I put about 60 miles of backroads on her today and it was just fun.

View attachment 1657117
There is a whole world of aftermarket support for that bike as well... Just in case you should get the itch! I want one big time!

Lots of people down this way have DR650s (affectionally called dog rooters:laugh:) and as BOT says lots of aftermarket goodies, i wouldnt mind one myself.
Small heads up tho if you hear ANY whining in 3rd or 5th gear stop riding and change em out before they let go and destroy your cases...there is an outfit in the states that does a billet 3rd gear. I personally know of 2 owners that have had to go thru this at around 45-55k KMS. Suzuki have upgraded these gears thru the years.
Dont mean to put a dampner on your purchase..

Lots of people down this way have DR650s (affectionally called dog rooters:laugh:) and as BOT says lots of aftermarket goodies, i wouldnt mind one myself.
Small heads up tho if you hear ANY whining in 3rd or 5th gear stop riding and change em out before they let go and destroy your cases...there is an outfit in the states that does a billet 3rd gear. I personally know of 2 owners that have had to go thru this at around 45-55k KMS. Suzuki have upgraded these gears thru the years.
Dont mean to put a dampner on your purchase..

40k is a long long time away, the bike had 4100 miles on it when I picked it up.

To be 100% honest, had I been able to find a Honda XR650L I would have snatched it up. I have been looking for one within 200 miles for months and couldn't find one that was reasonable.
A buddy of mine had an XR650L and it was very, very dirt oriented, it had sharp seat sides and always hurt his thighs on longer rides and it vibrated a lot on the hiway-it had a very annoying buzz...

it was great in the dirt and on logging roads where you were on the pegs more than the seat...

He traded it on an NC750 and the XR sat at the dealership a very long time...

I'de think that 650 would fit you well @captain as you look to be a big and tall man in the org pics.
I have ridden the 650s and the Hondas, and at 5'10", they are big and tall, with good torque.
Point and shoot, they go up and over most anything.
Ride it like you stole it, and try and keep that body off the ground old man.
The dual-sports are easy to have too much fun on.
I feel like a young hooligan on my Drz400
it doesn't feel legal, lol

I'de think that 650 would fit you well @captain as you look to be a big and tall man in the org pics.
I have ridden the 650s and the Hondas, and at 5'10", they are big and tall, with good torque.
Point and shoot, they go up and over most anything.
Ride it like you stole it, and try and keep that body off the ground old man.
The dual-sports are easy to have too much fun on.
I feel like a young hooligan on my Drz400
it doesn't feel legal, lol

You called me old, fat and out of shape all in the same paragraph... That pretty accurate! I rode a CRF450R for a lot of years when my boys were young and we all rode trails together. This 650 can't touch the power and romp the 450 had but at the same time I don't feel like I am going to get launched to the moon every time I blip the throttle. This bike is going to enable me to just get out for a little bit and think about something outside of work..

Enjoy yourself Cap, but never forget how much it hurts when you fall lol.
And as you get older that applies even more!
I've had a lot of fun and great moments on my DRZ400 and at 64, I can verify that riding it like ya stole it is a rush, but taking care to some degree is also very wise lol.
I fell from my DRZ at 60kmh and it took 3 months for my shoulder to stop hurting.
But I did get back on it again!

Enjoy yourself Cap, but never forget how much it hurts when you fall lol.
And as you get older that applies even more!
I've had a lot of fun and great moments on my DRZ400 and at 64, I can verify that riding it like ya stole it is a rush, but taking care to some degree is also very wise lol.
I fell from my DRZ at 60kmh and it took 3 months for my shoulder to stop hurting.
But I did get back on it again!

Trust me when I say the days of me being a Hooligan are over. My real focus is to drive the backroads and just get out of the house.. I don't think I will do any hardcore off road on this bike.

Good on ya at 64 and still gettin it done off road.

I have a Yamaha TTR 225 which is off road only.
I wish I had gone for a dual sport so I could ride it on the road, to an off road site.

Looks like the Captain got a real nice bike for his use.

I think the head light is more for on road riding so other vehicles can see us - more than
for night time riding, most 4 wheel vehicles have day light running lights - I know mine do.

Back