Non-stock colors/paintjobs

Willie G

Registered
When I bought my bike it appeared to have been well used but not abused - there were scratches in the bodywork on both sides but nothing too severe, no broken panels, etc.

So, I've done some work for some friends who own a body shop and who have always been the ones to fix my wrecks (cars) and they suggested that they'd like to repay me by painting the Busa, scratch fixing and all.

Seems like a good deal for all concerned. They do good work, so no quality issues. But suppose I choose a non-standard color (I'm looking at a very nice, very unusual, highpriced silver) - will that hurt the value of my bike? I'm not in to graphics or anything wild, so it's not really going to be a "custom" paint job. But it will be non-factory.

Your thoughts?

As long as it is a quality job, it shouldn't have any effact on the resale. But unless you are thinking of selling it this year, do your bike th way you want it and don't sweat the resale value.

Not to many colors would hurt the value of your bike. Pick a color you like. I can think of about 20 I would like to have. Choices
beerchug.gif

One thing I consider when I'm looking at used bikes...

If they have custom paint I always assume there's a good chance they've been dropped.

But, if you're going to hang onto it for at least another year, +1 to busawhipped.

I'd go custom, take before and after pics and no one will doubt why you painted it.

Go for it, good luck and post up the pics.
super.gif

Thanks, Guys!

I started to take the plastic off today.  Only staterted because the two screws in the middle, close to where the sliders mount, decided to crumble their little 4mm holes - I'll have to drill them out, I guess.

So, maybe the sanding will get done early next week and the paint will fly by week's end.

The silver I chose is a Sherwin Williams product with the Dale, Jr. endorsement (can't find a link on their site...) and it seems to almost be a "soft" silver - should look good with black or charcoal kanji.

You'll see the bike shortly after I do.  
cool.gif

I would say paint it. I would rather buy a bike that was repainted, than buy a one with scratches.

Good luck on picking a color. Theres way too many choices. Everytime I pick a new color I see another shade I think looks better.

Ahhhh...I found it!

8 Tonz FPC Silver Bullet

Still no linky, guess they no longer make it.
sad.gif

$100/quart, I can see why.

jump9.gif

Back