Noise after replacing brake pads

jones2507

Registered
I recently changed out my brake pads I put on EBC HH front and rear I bled the brakes after I was done but when im riding slow I can hear the brakes rubbing at certain spots didn't know if this will go away after awhile or did I do something wrong ive tried cleaning the rotors helped a little but the noise comes back it doesn't effect my braking any just that little rubbing noise

All the time but I can only hear it at low speeds because of the wind and Brock's exhaust it doesn't make a sound when I apply the brakes

You may have a piston stuck in the caliper, or you may have a warped rotor.

I recently changed out my brake pads I put on EBC HH front and rear I bled the brakes after I was done but when im riding slow I can hear the brakes rubbing at certain spots didn't know if this will go away after awhile or did I do something wrong ive tried cleaning the rotors helped a little but the noise comes back it doesn't effect my braking any just that little rubbing noise
If you do a search here you'll find a lot of complaints about how loud the HHs are. Mine are the same even after a few thousand miles. Doesn't matter if you apply brakes or not.

Yep, may be a stuck piston. Did you clean the calipers and pistons prior to reassembling with the new pads? Over time the pistons extend more and more as the pads wear down, collecting brake dust and road grime along the way. Then, if you don't clean them, when you put new pads on you're pushing that dirty piston back into the caliper where it can damage the seals and/or get stuck. You can clean them with a product like Simple Green and an old toothbrush. Cleaning may not be enough though, you should also inspect the pistons for pitting which may also cause them to get hung-up in the caliper. If they're pitted then it's time for new calipers, don't know of anyone that sells just the pistons, but you can get new seals all day.

I never had this noise before I replaced them so I didn't figure it wasnt the rotor or caliper
The piston in the caliper will get a buildup around it and will not seat all the way into the caliper unless cleaned. Your old pads were thin, and the piston extends farther out as a result. When you install thicker new pads, if the piston will not seat all the way into the caliper, it will rub the rotor, and will also drag more on a warped rotor. The HH pads do cause more noise than stock pads though.

I put a set on the rear of an '06 I had many moons ago and they were noisy. It might just be the pads.

You may have a piston stuck in the caliper, or you may have a warped rotor.

I had this problem on my B-king last week. I actually thought I had warped rotors till a guy on another forum told me about cleaning the brake buttons. They are the washer looking deals that attach the fixed part of the rotor to the outside part of the rotor, in other words the disc that is actually being compressed by the pads. I cleaned the buttons and my problems all went away. There is a "How To" on YouTube. Type in "Cleaning Motorcycle Rotors". It works like a charm!

I have a "Shhh-shhh-shhh-shhhh!" sound as the wheel is turning. My RF caliper was sticking for some odd reason so I guess the rotor warped a little. My mechanic just rebuilt the calipers and he says it's normal. So I dunno, the bike stops on a dime and gives back change so I'm learning to ignore it.

Back