No Tank, No Ride (Bucking Busa at Rest)

I had a 1986 Yamaha FJ1200 before I got my Busa. The tank had rust in it. I found this product called kreem in the Dennis Kirk Catalog. The kit cost me like $40 bucks or so. I did it myself the first time but it did not come out right. I took it to a local Motorcycle repair guy and he did it. Cost me $250 bucks. It removes the rust and recoats the lining. Try that. Don't go to a dealership or it will be more. If you feel confident, try the Kreem for yourself.
I have seenmany tanks for sale on Ebay also. check them out. :thumbsup:

Take a small-ish chain about 20" long or so and put it in the tank and rattle it around in there for a while. It will loosen all or most of the rust flakes first then you can do the Kreem treatment. The Kreem treatment works very well if you take your time and do it by the book. Your tank is salvageable but I would definitely get a new pump or find a good used one.

Does anyone know of anything that just destroys rust? I know they have a 2-3 stage kit that like desolves it then puts a gel type coat on to help prevent further damage; but I heard that isn't that great.??? But what I'm thinking is that if I could just completely rid the tank of the exsisting rust and keep the tank full of gas from there after then the tank wouldn't have room to rust again. The way it was explained to me is that rust comes from space in the tank leaving room for oxygen and moisture to mix and settle as rust.??? So I figure if I can get rid of all the exsisting rust then keep the tank full so there's no room for oxygen then no more rust can form?!? Am I in the ball park, anyone?:poke:

I restored a tank a few years ago (the bike sat dormant for 12 years out side) using something similar to this stuff although it wasn't the same, cant remember the name.
Evapo-Rust Rust Remover Home
Very user friendly, nontoxic, biodegradable etc etc. Just cleaned as much of the loose stuff out as I could using soap and water with my nuts, rinsed it real good with water then used the "stuff", rinsed that out real good then immediately dried it real good. Wala! no chemicals, coating etc, still rust free and functioning today. Sorry I cant remember the exact name of the stuff I used.
PS, I also disassembled and treated the carburetor plus the drive chain (non Oring) from the same bike and they both still work like a charm.

race & repair 159.jpg

race & repair 088.jpg

race & repair 099.jpg

race & repair 145.jpg

race & repair 151.jpg

Last edited:
pm golden child , he will hook you up with what you need , If you buy from ebay who knows if the pump is already screwed?

Back