No start after 40 mile ride

steve_fla

Registered
I took a little ride across the ally yesterday on my 2006 , drove about 40 miles. Stopped to get a quick drink 5 min later I tried to start the bike and would turn over slow. Was dragging bad like a dead battery, temp was normal.All connection on battery are tight. After a ten minute wait cranked over normal. Started fine all day after that. Bad Starter? bike only has 6000 miles

thx Steve

how many years have you had the current battery in the bike? i have an '05 and i'm on my third battery even with using a battery tender

My 05 would do that from time to time, finally figured out it was a bad cell. Have it tested.

I have an 06 as well. I think it might have been typical heat sink on the motor. I remember a lot of times when i got off to get gas it was a little hard to start. Once i got a better battery it was ok. boost the battery to a 230cc or higher and a good quality one at that. No batteries plus stuff. no good imo. I bet thats all it is. There are several types besides the stock kind. I have a shoria lithium with i think either 230 or 280cca. something like that ... I dont care much for the shoria battery but thats another story. hope this helps.

I don't get how some go thru soo many battery's unless they sit for long periods of time neglected.
I still have the original battery in my 2008 and never had a problem...

I don't get how some go thru soo many battery's unless they sit for long periods of time neglected.

I think its look of the draw. the battery in my bike when i bought it new lasted just one season. the second battery lasted just 2 years. then i made the mistake buying one from batteries plus and it lasted about one season. battery number 4 was another factory and again about 2 years. so i bought a shoria. I thought oh yea. well not so much. i hooked it up to the 6 volt side all winter and ruined it. so i bought another one. and at least got it hooked up right to charge over the winter. That said i dont care for this battery at all because if it falls below 40 degrees it does not work very well. but im stuck with it so i cant spend any more on this sort of thing. And i did have the others on tenders but did no good. I still think lithium or ballistic batteries are the way to go but not shorai batteries imo.

Thanks for the input everyone , battery is about 1 year old. Was put in when I got bike for previous owner and it has a batteries plus label on it. That says it all, Taking it to work tomorrow to put battery tester on it .

I just gave my factory battery away. It was cranking as good as the day i bought the bike, but it was six years old and people kept saying you don't want to get stuck in the mountains with a bad battery at the Bash, so they put the chit on me and I replaced her. It killed me, but I gave it to a good friend.

It's way to soon for it, but if the battery checks good have the valves checked. Might never happen again, you can never tell.

check the voltage regulator wires, my bike did the same thing ,had a bad wire .. How do you post questions ,I am new to this site... please help???

First thing to do is check the grounds.
A bad or corroded ground will cause issues with heavy loads(like a starter).
The starter motor itself could be bad.
My 86 GSXR1100 had the same issues, and it wasn't the battery. I had the starter and generator rebuilt, and it never had that problem again.

I would bet on a bad ground on a bike with that little mileage.

BTW, 08 Busa here with the original battery.

I think its look of the draw. the battery in my bike when i bought it new lasted just one season. the second battery lasted just 2 years. then i made the mistake buying one from batteries plus and it lasted about one season. battery number 4 was another factory and again about 2 years. so i bought a shoria. I thought oh yea. well not so much. i hooked it up to the 6 volt side all winter and ruined it. so i bought another one. and at least got it hooked up right to charge over the winter. That said i dont care for this battery at all because if it falls below 40 degrees it does not work very well. but im stuck with it so i cant spend any more on this sort of thing. And i did have the others on tenders but did no good. I still think lithium or ballistic batteries are the way to go but not shorai batteries imo.

It makes me wonder why i have over 50k miles on the original battery when i bought my busa new back in 2008, i never had a single problem with my battery..

Update on battery, put my snap on battery tester on battery showed 90 cca replace battery. Batteries plus 13 month old battery is junk. It is a xta12a-bs agm is this right battery size? What should i replace with

Not sure but look into the newer styles. ballistic lithium extc. plenty of comments on them here. dont recommend shorai myself for reasons ive stated. just me though. good luck

Back