NO-clutch upshifting

OB_Hayawiz

Registered
Depends on how your doing it! If just crusing I let the throttle off quick while holding pressure up it wont hurt a thing. But don't try under any load . If you want to shift up underload (Racing)either install air shifter or I can tell ya how to install an Electric cutout for speed shifting for about 5 dollars. But if just crusing no problem

I roadraced a 1986 GSXR-750 for two years ('86 & '87), on which I also made 100+ passes at the dragstrip. During its life, I upshifted without the clutch 75-80% of the time with no ill affect. I also was on an endurance race team and we ran a 1988 Yamaha FZR-400 for a full season (36 total hours of 4,6 & 8 hour races), and it was rarely upshifted with the clutch (no-clutch upshifts, or your left forearm would pump up so bad, you could not hang on after 30 minutes). Both my '99 GSXR-750 and my 2K Busa upshift fine without the clutch. Practice on a dirtbike, because pratice is the key.

yeah ive shifted everywhere for 15 years i
or so like this.fooled ya huh

[This message has been edited by MOTORHEAD (edited 04 July 2000).]

Oh boy, here we go with the brain surgeons again.
The clutch is used for 2 things: the launch and the downshifts.
I also use it from first to second but after that its completely unecessary. Extra wear?
Not hardly.

i know their are conflicting answers but i say yes. it all comes down to how bad you want to win. shifting with out the clutch has always been bad on the dogs in suzukis. just about everyone knows that.try powershifting with the clutch, just keep her pinned and shift regular. i think its just as fast if your left hand is quick!

let me say this. i've raced many different bikes such as 88' 600 hurricane,89 gsxr 750,86 gsxr 1100, many 90' gsxr 1100's , and now my 2000 busa , and have never had a tranny problem. i just use the clutch to launch the bike then when i'm shutting it down. Same as on the street. this way IS a faster way to shift if done right.

Back