Not using the clutch to shift up

Francesco

Registered
The slickest way to clutchless upshift on strong acceleration is to apply upward pressure to the shift lever while running up the revs, to shift simply blip the throttle off/on slightly and quickly. The first time I ever tried this I was pleasantly surprised by a better, faster, and easier way to upshift. Each bike is a little different but the Busa responds well to this.
Don't forget to try this method for a smooth transition when you power the front end off the ground and take it on into second gear. This is such a quick and smooth way to shift that you can make the shift to second and land the front wheel gently back to the pavement.

I was riding in to work this morning and remembered reading about someone who shifted up without the clutch, so I tried it. Let off the throttle a bit, and shifted. Smooth as silk!

Is this a good thing to do regularly?????

Are there any potential dangers?

thanks!

[This message has been edited by Badagindo (edited 13 April 2000).]

For some reason the 1300 responds to this better than any other bike I've ever owned. Since discovering that it has become my preferred method of shifting.

As long as your smooth and dont put tranny in a bind while trying to shift I would say its just as good as using the clutch. I have heard many mechanics say an air shifter is easier on the transmission than someone shifting it themselves. It does the same thing, kills the ignition for a split second and pulls it into gear.

I do it all the time however to compare this to a air shifter is misleading. A good air shifter will kill the
ignition as it shifts. In a drag situation you may want to use just a little clutch so as not to turn the
throttle in the wrong way (off) you also stand to gain from the small boost the clutch re-engaging can
offer.

I've done it on every bike I've ever owned. My first bike was an YZF125, which I had a few shift problems with and the mechanic taught me the technique on my first (ever!) service. I've never had any gearbox problems on any of the bikes I've had (Yam's, Hondas and now Suzuki!)

I go 1st to second using the clutch on the 'busa, cos it seems to be a hell of a hole running through the neutral gate, but once in second, just apply a little preasure to lift the lever, blip the throttle just enough to take the weight of box and up she jumps. The only problems I've ever had is a (very) occasional ghost between 5th and 6th if I'm hammering the beast very hard.

The 5th to 6th problem is never an issue when your hammering her, its when your loafing along and you try to get her into 6th that the problem surfaces.

On some of the older bikes I did notice a little more wear on the shifting forks, but I personally never had a fork fail from wear. Newer shifting forks my be made of a lot better material. Bike does seem to shift much smoother than with clutch. Seems my clutch engages all over the place and all at once making it hard to get a nice smooth shift. Jack

Back