"No Busa for You"

PastorJeff

Registered
I agree that the Busa is not the bike to start on, so I have been pounding the dealerships looking for a bike to start on to learn the ropes before I get the bike of my dreams.

I am a heavy rider...280-290#'s, I have little bike experience...not since High School. I really don't want to spend alot of $$$ on a learner bike as I would rather save the $$$ for the Busa.

So here are my questions...

What is the best bike to learn on?

How much should I look to spend?

Do I buy from a dealer or look for a private party?

Do I take the MSC before I get the bike or after?

Thanks...I did a search and did not find the answers to these questions. Sorry if they are repeats.

Jeffrey

Try A Honda Rebel 250. A small cruiser, but you'll be able to fit on it. Good bike to learn on or for a everyday use by a woman. Cheap, about $2K for a recent one with low miles. You'll always get a better deal from a private party unless a dealer has a bike that he just wants to get rid of. If something looks good and has (true) low miles, it unlikely to have been abused. It may be hard to find exactly what you want looking solely in your local area.
Also be aware that for some late model used bikes may have prices so close to new that it's not worth buying used. When I was looking at Harleys, theres were tons of ads in the Cycletrader for 1 or 2 yr old bikes priced at more than the dealer wanted for a brand new one.

<!--EDIT|drlucian
Reason for Edit: None given...|1097858800 -->

To answer your
rock.gif
(IMO, which there are many)

Learn on - GSXR 600 (I'm a Suzuki fan and it's a lite and nibble bike)
Look to spend - $4,500 - $6,500 (used)
Buy - from where every you can get the cheapest price
MSF - YES....I've taken it several times and learn something each time.

just my .02 good luck
smile.gif

my first bike was a honda rebel 250 and i feel that a 280 lb dude would look like a gorilla on a mini-bike. just my .02

my first bike was a honda rebel 250 and i feel that a 280 lb dude would look like a gorilla on a mini-bike. just my .02
That is EXACTLY what I do not want! All I would need then is someone to play circus music on an organ while I am riding!

Definately want to stay away from the bear on a trike look.

The funny thing is that the busa dealerships all told me that I would have no problem learning on the Busa. Seems like they really don't care much about my safety once I am out the door.

We also have a Triumph dealership here too...what about them?

What is it that I am looking for in a learner bike? The low power? The manuverability?

Jeffrey

I would look at wieght and manuverablility. I learned on a 600 and didn't have any problems. Dumped it once but I was just being an idiot.....

I had a Suzuki Katana 750 before I got the 'Busa. It is about the same weight, but has less power than the 'Busa (no surprise there). I liked it because it let me get comfortable without spending too much. And you certainly won't look like a gorilla on it. If you go used you can probably get a fairly new one for around $5k. Getting from a dealer or private party depends on how comfortable you are with the bike. If it's just something to help you learn before the 'Busa then I wouldn't worry and get the best and cheapest thing you can get. That way when/if you drop it it won't matter and you can still get ready for the big step!

take the MSF class first so you have actual bike FEEL experience while you are out shopping for a used. I started on a $400 650 cruiser from 1982 and couldn't be happier! learned alot - dropped it alot - cheap insurance. my buddy learned on an EX 500 KAW and it serverd him very well. good luck and have fun!

i would start on older 600 or 750 still fun to learn on but not enough to get out from under too easily
cool.gif

Try A Honda Rebel 250. A small cruiser, but you'll be able to fit on it. Good bike to learn on or for a everyday use by a woman. Cheap, about $2K for a recent one with low miles. You'll always get a better deal from a private party unless a dealer has a bike that he just wants to get rid of. If something looks good and has (true) low miles, it unlikely to have been abused. It may be hard to find exactly what you want looking solely in your local area.
Also be aware that for some late model used bikes may have prices so close to new that it's not worth buying used. When I was looking at Harleys, theres were tons of ads in the Cycletrader for 1 or 2 yr old bikes priced at more than the dealer wanted for a brand new one.
To small he is a big guy. Look for something used private lke a suzuki Katana 750 Honda Intceptor, lots out there. You should ide it for a good year anyway then move up.

I gotta say that I did like the Suz. Katana...it seemed like a very comfortable bike. And it was pretty close to the Busa in length and what not. But not enought power to get myself killed.

I will be purchasing my bike hopefully in the early summer and will make sure that I take the MSC first. I tried to get in this summer, but they really fill up so fast! I was on the waiting list but did not get in.

So next summer I am going to be right there...in line...waiting!

Jeffrey

Yup! Jeff, Listen up..
smile.gif

1st MSF for the Weekend, you'll know all the basics, and will be ready to ride on the street. "WEAR YOUR GEAR"

2nd It's your choice what bike, but if the Busa is your eventual destination do not start on an Itty Bitty bike. Katana 750 (USED) or VFR 750/800 (USED) is the perfect place to start.

Both of the above bikes are physically allmost the same Mass a the Hayabusa although physically they are a little smaller, makes the transistion to the Busa much easier.

Both have about 90-100 HP or so, but it's spread over a decent curve.

Both are Neutral hadnling Bikes, they don't have any weird characteristics or quirks.

Both are still going to be a little intimidating for a beginner, but just enough so to keep you outta trouble and give you someplace to grow.

Hell you get a VFR800 you may never want a Busa... So uh, stick with a well cared for 750. Besides they sound amazing... V-4...

So what I am saying is your old enough to know better but young enough to want a Busa. Therefore your prolly plenty responsible enough to keep yourself alive on a Katana or VFR. Katana doesn't get alot of respect, but it really is a pretty damned sweet "PoorMans VFR".

Good luck with your decision, me Personally, I'd snap up a well cared for VFR, And plan on keeping it forever.

This is always an interesting question because there are so many varying opinions on the subject...

Having done all of this myself, I can tell you what I did wrong...I bought a Harley not even knowing where the controls were or how to ride even a moped...I wrecked the Harley, nothing major, but enough to make me realize the MSF course was a NECESSITY. Took the class, started riding the Harley, only put about 2000 miles on it, traded up to a Busa.

Since having the Busa, I now see how much I didn't know about riding, but all it takes is seat time. Anyone could feasibly learn on a Busa, but I would say that the cost of fixing a dropped or wrecked Busa is considerably higher than dropping something a little cheaper or hefty like my Harley. Minimal damage on the Harley when I dropped it, $800 to replace the plastic on the Busa from a standing still drop in my gravel driveway...

Can you get your hands on a dirt bike? Even that would help get you started, cheap option, get the MSF class behind you and then see what you think you're ready for after that...no matter what you get, I don't think you get skilled until you just have seat time...I still have so much to learn, but I feel like I've learned so much in the last year on the Busa...7600 miles and counting...

Here's what I am talking about... Get a bike you might never want to sell VFR at Cycletrader $3500

A little old school maybe, but still a single sided swingarm, and a sweet V-4.

untitledvfr.jpg

I dont think you need the class before you get a bike i had my bike for 3 months before i got the class. I bought one of those idiots guide to motorcycles and with that nvr having been on a bike i got on and went on my way. Just stay out of public places like roads, just ride around the neighborhood for a week. My first bike was a kat 600 458 dry busa is 478 dry so no difference and weight. Now i have a busa and am happy i started on such a heavy bike because im used to the weight.

Don't post much, mostly read.  But since My wife and a friend of mine have just learned to ride I though I would give my .02 worth.
I purchased a Suzuki bandit 600 for my son to learn to ride a couple of years ago. Less than $5,000 OTD new.
My wife has learned on that bike and a friend of mine has learned on that bike.
Hate to say it but it has been dropped about 5 times. The most extensive damage so far are broken turn signals, $43.00 each,  yes there are some scratches to the mirrors and front plastics, but nothing to run and change them.
Now if the Busa is dropped I would have to change the plastics, but the bandit is a trainer bike, and still in very good condition.

The thing I like about the Bandit is that it is an in-line 4 with a red line around 12,000, peak power at 9,300 rpm. The low end is very mild and you really have to push it to get the real power to kick in.
My son and my wife have had no problem controlling the bike and low or high rpm.  I even enjoy riding it once in a while.

The problem with learning on the big bikes, even a GSXR 600 is that it can get away from you in a mad second.

Good luck on what every you choose.

And the MSF course, IMHO, is a must.  I have taken it twice, had a blast on the 2nd time around, and that was last year. I have been riding for about 20 years now.

Ride safe

PastorJeff,

You seem like a guy in control of your emotions.  Go for the 'Busa.  The bike is very manageable and will accept many riding styles.

I had never owned a Sportbike before the 'Busa and found it to be quite easy to get used to and control.  A little harder to control is your right wrist!

Buy the bike and keep a cool head.  You'll be fine.

<!--EDIT|A'Busa'd
Reason for Edit: None given...|1097883390 -->

Back