No spark on GSXR1000

vmaxbaby

Registered
Sorry to post up a question about a GSXR but figured they were close to our machines. The issue is my friends 2006 GSXR1K will not fire and looking for some things to try.

This is like a puzzle that has missing pieces :(

The bike has 6K miles on it and up to now no issues.
Bike will crank over but will not start.
Replaced plugs that did nothing
New Battery so plenty of juice
Kick stand is up and the kill switch is in the run position :)
Bike has never been wrecked

Pulled the plugs and hooked them up so I could see if any spark and there is nothing.

Next replaced the computer from a different bike, same year, and that did not start it. Took his computer and put it on the good bike and it started so the computer is not the issue.

Since there is no error codes on the display that makes it hard to trouble shoot as well. What am I am missing ?? :banghead:

Thank you in advance

Make sure that no wires came out of any of the harnesses. The particular ones im talking about are under the seat behind the battery.

Does it have an ignition module, or is it integrated in the ECM? Is it coil-over-plug, or does it have wires? I'm assuming being an 06 COP?

Last edited:
tip over sensor...if you dont hear the fuel pump kick on when you turn the ignition key id check there
also the starter relay, we had one we just tapped on it with the back end of a socket wrench and it started right up after that...on the busa its on the right side of the tail big relay and fuse....

Last edited:
tip over sensor...if you dont hear the fuel pump kick on when you turn the ignition key id check there
also the starter relay, we had one we just tapped on it with the back end of a socket wrench and it started right up after that...on the busa its on the right side of the tail big relay and fuse....

He already said it would crank, just not start. If it were the starter relay it wouldn't crank at all. Same with the tip over sensor, as far as I know. I've never tried to crank one sittin on its side. . .

He already said it would crank, just not start. If it were the starter relay it wouldn't crank at all. Same with the tip over sensor, as far as I know. I've never tried to crank one sittin on its side. . .
TOS can move a little when you're workin on things. If it thinks the bike is on its side it makes no difference whether the bike actually is or not........

TOS can move a little when you're workin on things. If it thinks the bike is on its side it makes no difference whether the bike actually is or not........

You missed the whole point. . . I said if it were the tip over sensor the engine would not crank at all. . . He said it cranks but won't start. That means the starter is running, the engine is turning, but there's a no start condition. Not a no crank condition. That's why I said it definitely isn't the starter relay, and as far as I know, the TOS deactivates the starter, so if that's the case, and the TOS were the issue, then the starter wouldn't be running, and the engine wouldn't crank.

Going over tonight to his house so will post up more details but the funny thing is he was riding it with a group. Stopped for gas than started it up waiting on the other riders, one of the guys bike won't start so he turned it off. Than the guys bike started so he started his back up, than another guy could not get his bike to start so he shut off again. Than when everyone finally had their bike started he went to start his and it just cranked and cranked but would not fire. So got trucked home and has not fired up since. Will check what everyone has posted about fuel pump but when testing to see if any fire was going to the plugs we see nothing. So what could cause no spark and yes new plugs were put in but that didn't help ? I am no bike mechanic so that makes the matter worst :(

Going over tonight to his house so will post up more details but the funny thing is he was riding it with a group. Stopped for gas than started it up waiting on the other riders, one of the guys bike won't start so he turned it off. Than the guys bike started so he started his back up, than another guy could not get his bike to start so he shut off again. Than when everyone finally had their bike started he went to start his and it just cranked and cranked but would not fire. So got trucked home and has not fired up since. Will check what everyone has posted about fuel pump but when testing to see if any fire was going to the plugs we see nothing. So what could cause no spark and yes new plugs were put in but that didn't help ? I am no bike mechanic so that makes the matter worst :(

Are you sure the battery has a good charge on it? I've seen plenty of new batteries only come half charged.

If the battery does have a good charge I would check the TOS like the other members recommended. The TOS does not kill the starter and it is possible to engage the starter with a bad TOS. I believe by design the TOS is suppose to kill a running engine by some means in an event of a tip over/wreck which means that killing the starter would do nothing if the engine was all ready started. Good Luck

Last edited:
Are you sure the battery has a good charge on it? I've seen plenty of new batteries only come half charged.

If the battery does have a good charge I would check the TOS like the other members recommended. The TOS does not kill the starter and it is possible to engage the starter with a bad TOS. I believe by design the TOS is suppose to kill a running engine by some means in an event of a tip over/wreck which means that killing the starter would do nothing if the engine was all ready started. Good Luck

You are correct about the TOS shutting the bike off if it's dropped. But if the bike is dropped, the starter is also disabled. When you get it back up you have to cycle the key to give the ECM the new "upright" information before it will crank. As far as I know, the only means the bike has of knowing whether it's upright or laying over is the TOS. So if that were the problem, the bike wouldn't crank. It's still worth checking out, but I don't think that's the issue. But I WAS wrong once. . . A long time ago. . . So who knows. :laugh:

me, i got the same problem. i have an 03gsxr1000.
and i changed the plugs and battery. but will still not start.
does any 1 know were the tip over senser is on this thing?
Im here working in kuwait and i dont have all the means or knowledge as alot of u. can i get a little help please.
no spark in any plugs.
tried to see what i could do, seen no problems. but when took plug out , no spark. PLS help me out any 1 ???

me, i got the same problem. i have an 03gsxr1000.
and i changed the plugs and battery. but will still not start.
does any 1 know were the tip over senser is on this thing?
Im here working in kuwait and i dont have all the means or knowledge as alot of u. can i get a little help please.
no spark in any plugs.
tried to see what i could do, seen no problems. but when took plug out , no spark. PLS help me out any 1 ???

Old thread...start a new one.
Posted via Mobile Device

CRANK SENSOR!!

under starter gear covers..

Did it just go bad, or was the wire pinched whent the cover was closed, or it wasn't placed correctly and moved?

It seems if the cover is opened too many times, those wire can eventually break.

EDIT: never mind - I confused with the sensor in in stator cover. Still want to know what happened with the sensor.

showed F1 light.....but was the TOS.
i put it on wrong side. thanks every 1 for the help. my first time running a new wire harnis. good experience though.:beerchug:

Back