NJ, The Red Cross, and Hurricane Sandy

MoeMar

Registered
Last night at work I took notice to the Princeton Hyatt filled with Red Cross trucks. A four star hotel. Money well spent on them selfs. Way to ruff it guys. You will never see me donate to the Red Cross.

It's probably the only place left. As far as charities go, The American Red Cross is probably one of the best at getting need directly from the donator to the needy. Unless you have seen an invoice or bill from the hotel to the RC, I'm calling your statement BS.

I was talking to a cop by my Job and told him about it. He said he used to help them and told me how (some) would stay at hotels and comp every meal. I've heard the stories and now have seen first hand.
Call it what you want.

charity isnt charity.... its fleecing a friend of mine posted something on facebook about the "administrative costs"

As you open your pocketbooks for the next natural disaster, please keep these facts in mind:

The American Red Cross President and CEO Marsha J. Evans' salary for the year was$951,957 plusexpenses.

The United Way President Brian Gallagher receives a $675,000 base salary along withnumerous expensebenefits.

UNICEF CEO Caryl M. Stern receives $1,900,000 per year (158K) per month, plus all expenses including a ROLLS ROYCE. Less than 5 cents (4.4 cents) per donated dollar goes to the cause.

HOWEVER

The Salvation Army's Commissioner Todd Bassett receives a salary of only $13,000 per year(plus housing) for managing this $2 billion dollar organization. 96 percent of donated dollars go to the cause.

The American Legion National Commander receives a $0.00 zero salary. Your donations go to help Veterans and their families and youth!

The Veterans of Foreign Wars National Commander receives a $0.00 zero salary. Your donations go to help Veterans and their families and youth!

The Disabled American Veterans National Commander receives a $0.00 zero salary. Your donations go to help Veterans and their families and youth!

The Military Order of Purple Hearts National Commander receives a $0.00 zero salary. Your donations go to help Veterans and their families and youth!

The Vietnam Veterans Association National Commander receives a $0.00 zero salary. Your donations go to help Veterans and their families and youth!
No further comment is necessary.

It's probably the only place left. As far as charities go, The American Red Cross is probably one of the best at getting need directly from the donator to the needy. Unless you have seen an invoice or bill from the hotel to the RC, I'm calling your statement BS.

This is horribly uninformed, while the red cross does some good, they are a bunch of people living like fat rats off of generosity and tragedy

well politics and all that aside. All hotels have a variety of rates, including govt and disaster/bereavement ones. The govt rates are set by, well the govt and a hotel generally allocates a block of rooms that can be used for that rate. The other possible side is that the hotel is "donating" the rooms to the charity and writing off the full room rate. Lots and lots of ways for a group like the Red Cross to take over a nice property. You never know how/why folks stay in places...I know I've stayed at some places that are literally $600+/night and paid under $100/night using the govt rate so it can happen.

well politics and all that aside. All hotels have a variety of rates, including govt and disaster/bereavement ones. The govt rates are set by, well the govt and a hotel generally allocates a block of rooms that can be used for that rate. The other possible side is that the hotel is "donating" the rooms to the charity and writing off the full room rate. Lots and lots of ways for a group like the Red Cross to take over a nice property. You never know how/why folks stay in places...I know I've stayed at some places that are literally $600+/night and paid under $100/night using the govt rate so it can happen.

I recall staying in a very nice place for free99 a few years back, some fancy pants traveling computer guy got me a room. :thumbsup:

I recall staying in a very nice place for free99 a few years back, some fancy pants traveling computer guy got me a room. :thumbsup:

can happen ... :whistle:

Though that wasnt fancy pants, just your standard full service room on the concierge floor :thumbsup:

This one is fancy pants for sure

roomview.JPG

Red Cross and the others (ripoff ones) mentioned above will never get a $ from me, going back to a bad experiendce one of my troops had with them in the Army during emergency leave, ended up taking a collection amongst sergeants and officers for him to go see his mom one last time. I give my 10%+ gross per year to charity, but I research carefully who I give to (SA is a class orginization, BSA gets its share too).

im broke, but I volunteer a bunch. so they get my time, not my money.
"they" being =
ABATE of Wyoming
Wyoming Central ABATE
The National Coalition Of Motorcyclist
The Patriot Guard
The Drowning Support Network
The Higging & Langley Foundation
Poverty Resistance Casper Wyo.
and the city of Casper Wyoming's RESPECT the River water safety committee.

I think im leaving something out..oh well. my point has been made.

Back