NFL Fix Is In...

bjewell

Registered
Game in Seattle was fixed, pure and simple. Too many really bad calls against the Packers. That holding call was a joke and the "touchdown" to end the game was a total crock. Obviously the replacement refs can be bought as well as the guys up in the replay booth. I'm sitting out the games until they get the real refs. In the meantime, Vinnie in Las Vagas made a killing last night...

Not fixed, just stupid. The replacement officials are a joke. I'd almost rather delay the season until they get officials who actually know the rules and have seen an NFL game. The officiating in every game so far has been a joke.

I dont think it was a fix because the bad calls went both ways. The Packers TD drive should have resulted in a punt twice but the refs threw flags twice on 3rd down plays when there was no foul. It just so happens that the worst call in history was against the Pac. The replay booth had nothing to do with it. The rules state that a replay can only check if the ball was caught, were both feet in bounds, and was possession maintained through the catch. They CANNOT check for to see if a flag should have been called, or even who caught the ball. The call on the field was a TD so the replay could only confirm the ball was caught and uphold the call on the field. It would have been the same thing if the call on the field was an INT, the ref would only have confirmed that call. It was a sad way to see the game end!

I couldn't believe it when I watched it. These guys are obviously in over their heads.

I was rooting for the Packers all night, but as soon as that ball was caught, I knew it was a TD because that is exactly what I saw; "simultaneous possession". The Packers should have never been in that situation to begin with. What happened to the 25-35 per game they scored last year? The refs are doing the best they can, just as any newbie would do with rules they are not familiar with, or in any new job... The pro refs that are locked-out/on strike were making $150k per year as a part-time employees, getting and all expense paid weekend vacation every weekend during FB season, and only have to work a few hours a week (FOR $150k PER YEAR).Everyone talks about this multi-billion $ business should just give them what they are asking for, but have no clue about running a business. So; when the refs ask for a $2mm raise, we should just give it to them because that is what they are asking for... What a joke.

Everyone is talking about the safety of the players are now in jeopardy because of the replacement refs;;; I have never seen a ref do a helmet to helmet hit, or chop block, or rough the passer;;; that would be the players that are jeopardizing players safety.

I didnt watch it but I read where one official admitted he didnt know how the challenge rules work. I'm sorry but I dont watch football hardly ever anymore and *I* know how they work :laugh: Maybe I'm missing out on an extra 25-70k a year ... lord knows I travel around the country enough already :laugh:

I was rooting for the Packers all night, but as soon as that ball was caught, I knew it was a TD because that is exactly what I saw; "simultaneous possession". The Packers should have never been in that situation to begin with. What happened to the 25-35 per game they scored last year? The refs are doing the best they can, just as any newbie would do with rules they are not familiar with, or in any new job... The pro refs that are locked-out/on strike were making $150k per year as a part-time employees, getting and all expense paid weekend vacation every weekend during FB season, and only have to work a few hours a week (FOR $150k PER YEAR).Everyone talks about this multi-billion $ business should just give them what they are asking for, but have no clue about running a business. So; when the refs ask for a $2mm raise, we should just give it to them because that is what they are asking for... What a joke.

Everyone is talking about the safety of the players are now in jeopardy because of the replacement refs;;; I have never seen a ref do a helmet to helmet hit, or chop block, or rough the passer;;; that would be the players that are jeopardizing players safety.

You think the ref's are only working a few hours a week?

You think the ref's are only working a few hours a week?

Wow, is that the best you can come up with Tim? A few as in, less than 40. Many of the officials have other jobs. Not many people in this country make $150k working less than 40hrs, but I figure 5hrs travel time, 5hrs game time, 10hrs prepping for the game/study/planning.

Wow, is that the best you can come up with Tim? A few as in, less than 40. Many of the officials have other jobs. Not many people in this country make $150k working less than 40hrs, but I figure 5hrs travel time, 5hrs game time, 10hrs prepping for the game/study/planning.

I'm just saying the NFL ref's probably put in much more time than you give credit for. From the minute I walk out my front door to the minute I return travelling for my job, I consider that "work" as it's time away from my family and i bill as such(minus sleep obviously). Then add in the prep time and the follow up time...I bet they put in alot closer to 40 than you'd think! and this is a part time job for these dudes. Then go stand out in the middle of a LIVE NFL game with no padding on, there's an inherit risk to them there as well that needs to be compensated for.

Now-->Ask me if i think they deserve a raise....mmmeeeehhhhh, maybe a incentive based program on top of their current base salary for how they graded out for the previous game, but I completely think current salary is appropriate.

I'm not saying that the league should give in to the ref's union. Only they can decide if they are wiling to pay what the ref's demand or not.

Frankly, the owners may be doing BETTER - Everybody keeps watching to see what's gonna happen next!

And apparently NFL officiating thought the call WAS proper...

The refs are doing the best they can, just as any newbie would do with rules they are not familiar with, or in any new job... The pro refs that are locked-out/on strike were making $150k per year as a part-time employees, getting and all expense paid weekend vacation every weekend during FB season, and only have to work a few hours a week (FOR $150k PER YEAR).Everyone talks about this multi-billion $ business should just give them what they are asking for, but have no clue about running a business. So; when the refs ask for a $2mm raise, we should just give it to them because that is what they are asking for... What a joke.

The real NFL officials obviously have a skill set that even experienced amateurs don't have. And it's a skill set that isn't just waiting on some street corner for the NFL to hire. There will always be rookie officials just like there are always rookie players...just not all of them. So many fans are raging about the terrible calls and mess the games have been so far but they still don't think the offials who get most of the calls correct deserve a raise. Personally, the players strike seasons had better games with replacement players than the first 3 weeks of this season. Then fans could place all of the blame on the inexperienced players. This year, the officials are making a mockery of the skill and hard work of the players.

Frankly, everyone in the NFL including the cheerleaders are overpaid, but I'd rather have overpaid officials than 14more weeks + post season of this crap.

The real NFL officials obviously have a skill set that even experienced amateurs don't have. And it's a skill set that isn't just waiting on some street corner for the NFL to hire. There will always be rookie officials just like there are always rookie players...just not all of them. So many fans are raging about the terrible calls and mess the games have been so far but they still don't think the offials who get most of the calls correct deserve a raise. Personally, the players strike seasons had better games with replacement players than the first 3 weeks of this season. Then fans could place all of the blame on the inexperienced players. This year, the officials are making a mockery of the skill and hard work of the players.

Frankly, everyone in the NFL including the cheerleaders are overpaid, but I'd rather have overpaid officials than 14more weeks + post season of this crap.

Perfect post.

Ate lunch with my oldest for his birthday and that's all that was on. Looked like a bad call to me :whistle:

A business that makes money relies on it's employee's just as much as the employee'e rely on the business. Negotiating is part of business between any employee/employer. If the NFL feels the regular refs are not of any value, so be it. Games and the league will go as they did last night. If the refs feel that 150K/year is not worth their time, so be it. Games will go as they did last night. In all likelihood, the NFL will be cheapened, revenue's will fall and there will be less money to worry about losing. lol

As for the repl refs "causing" player safety issues, obviously they don't. But if players/teams know they can take cheap shots and have a better than average chance of getting away with b/c the repl refs aren't skilled enough to catch everything...well, that is certainly a factor in increasing risks to player safety.

I agree that the repl refs are doing the best they can, but I also agree that their best is not good enough.

As for the "touchdown" at the end of last nights game, upon review, every analyst/player/expert that I heard reporting agreed that it was an interception, not a touchdown. However, to me, the real issue is actually with the replay rules which state that replay cannot be used to determine possession. WTF?!!?!?!?!? Why on earth not? What that means, is that right or WRONG, the call on the field stands and decides the game, even IF everyone agreed from replay that the call was wrong. Unbelieveable!

Oh, and it doesn't help that the two refs at the play looked at each other and then gave opposing calls. IMHO, since two conflicting calls were given simulataneously, it s/b treated as no call until they get their stories straight. How can you say "'THE' call on the field stands" when two call were made? Is there a rule about simulataneous calls similar to simulataneous possession? :banghead:

GO RAIDERS! :)

Spot on with the first paragraph but I will disagree with the last line regarding everyone in the NFL is "overpaid" for several reasons:

1) Players assume HUGE risks everyday, even in practice, but especially during games. In any given instant, they can suffer catastrophic injury.
2) Players, generally, have very short careers so they have a very limited window in which to earn.
3) As for overpaying owners, cheerleaders, etc., the only reason that the NFL is so rich is because the fans continue to pay. If the NFL is truly overpaid, then it is the fans, not the NFL, that we have to blame.
4) Any salary is ultimately determined by comparing the value of the job to it's role in generating revenue. The greater the revenue potential, the greater an employer is willing to pay in salary. As long as the game generates the level of revenue that it does, salaries will be on par. Again, this is ultimately a function of what the fans are willing to pay for the NFL. Owners, players, etc. are just negotiating how much of the fans money ends up where/with whom.
5) Is there anyone here that would not attempt to negotiate the highest salary for themselves in any given circumstance? If so, then perhaps you can consult with NFL employees and explain to them why they should turn down money on a regular basis. ;)

NFL Football is the only sport that I have ever truly embraced (until motorcycle road racing became available to me in 2008!). I am a die-hard Raiders fan for over 30 years. But I can't afford it. Never could. I've been to 3 NFL games in my life. One of those was a gift. I didn't buy anything once inside the stadium due to the exhorbant cost. However, fans the all over the country, every week, somehow manage to fill stadiums and buy food, drink, clothing and every tchotchke (sp?) that the NFL can think to stick a team name on.

Want lower salaries in the NFL? Simple: Stop PAYING for the high salaries that we see today. :beerchug:

Back