New Years day ride

jphilipson

Registered
Well had the day off and no plans so I decided to take a ride to Great Sand Dunes National Park. I have passed within miles of park a number of times, but never actually stopped.

Left the Denver area early in the morning and headed down through Canon City, then US 50 along the Arkansas River canyon, some of the best sweepers in the state.

Turned at Texas Creek..

IMG_0226.JPG

IMG_0227.JPG

Took CO 69 through Westcliffe and on to Walsenburg

IMG_0228.JPG

The national park is almost right on the other side of those mountains in the San Luis valley, but there is no quick way to get there.

From Walsenburg I shot over La Veta pass and through Fort Garland in the San Luis valley

IMG_0229.JPG

Past Fort Garland one accesses the park using state road 150, 16 miles of perfectly flat and straight pavement ... aka Busa heaven.

Got to the park about 1:30 PM - Being New Years day access was free and the place was pretty deserted - Here's some pics of the park..

IMG_0230.JPG

These Dunes are 500-600 FT tall in most places.. the black specs are people.

IMG_0231.JPG

Note the mountain peaks in the background dwarf the 700 foot dunes..

IMG_0232.JPG

IMG_0234.JPG

After taking a bit to check out the Park I headed over to SR 17 to head back north to US 285. SR 17 is called the "Gun Barrel" because it is so flat and straight. I was surprised that even cruising at 100+ for miles on end the gas mileage remained pretty good on the Busa. The statey's cruise with their radar on and you can catch them well before you see them in these areas. Radar detector saved me three times today!

Was getting a bit dark and chilly by the time I hit 285 and went over Poncha Pass... heated gear was on full.. but was still feeling the chill. Guess riding for the last 70 miles at over 100 MPH average the windchill factor was pretty high lol.

IMG_0237.JPG

IMG_0238.JPG

After Poncha Pass I stopped in Salida for a bite to eat, then headed back to Canon City on US 50 along the Arkansas River and Big Horn Canyon. 50 miles of river canyon and fast sweepers to end the day!

Back